Initial difficulties with Deco XE75

2023-08-23 10:28:43 - last edited 2023-08-23 10:31:16
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20230601 Rel 58453

I have recently got a Deco XE75 to check out.
I have to say I like it but to be honest it's border line unusable.

Here are some of my observations so far.

1) Constant message in the app:

Something went wrong while obtaining the client list. Please
reboot the main Deco and connect to the wireless network again.

<Rebbot Now>

I can't reboot every time I see this message, the router would spend more time rebooting than being a router.

2) Related to above, refreshing the client list is extremely slow, of the order of minutes when it should be seconds.

I can't believe it should take this long to refresh the client list. I did a factory default reset and reconfigured from scratch
and within an hour or so the problem came back again.

3) Constant disconnects

Let's call them micro-disconnects as they seem to be quite short lived. If I didn't have a VPN client running on a Windows machine
for which incoming connections are broken by this I'd probably not notice it that much.

While other routers I have used do have connection problems at times I haven't seen this same behavior before. It is causing
me a problem.

4) In the app I constantly see one or both nodes marked as down.
The light on the nodes is green and I'm quite sure if they were down I'd be hearing about it from family members.

This seems wrong and appears to need fixing too!

Options
12 Reply
Re:Initial difficulties with Deco XE75
2023-08-25 12:00:16

@raven-au 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Could you please refer to this link to help me submit the Deco APP log:

How to submit Deco APP log

As for the client status update on the Deco APP, I also randomly got this issue. If you are on the IOS app, A new Deco APP-3.5.18 was released a few days ago. Please also update this version to see whether it has optimized this issue a little bit.

As for the minor drop-out, if the VPN client is wirelessly connected to Deco, you could turn off "Mesh Technology" on the Deco APP first and set up the connection preference to the 5 GHz band and connect to the nearest Deco unit.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-26 00:10:28

David-TP wrote

@raven-au 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Could you please refer to this link to help me submit the Deco APP log:

How to submit Deco APP log

As for the client status update on the Deco APP, I also randomly got this issue. If you are on the IOS app, A new Deco APP-3.5.18 was released a few days ago. Please also update this version to see whether it has optimized this issue a little bit.

As for the minor drop-out, if the VPN client is wirelessly connected to Deco, you could turn off "Mesh Technology" on the Deco APP first and set up the connection preference to the 5 GHz band and connect to the nearest Deco unit.

Best regards.

@David-TP thanks for getting back to me.

I have submitted the log as you recommended.

I'm mostly using Android for router management and there's no app update for that, I do have an iPad though, I'll update the app on that and spend a bit of time in there.

My main concern is fear the client list may be corrupt on the router which could lead to all sorts of problems.

I was hoping you could address the question of what are the implications of this to software engineering.

In any case now I have finished setting up the device it has settled down a little, but still occurs fairly frequently although it is at least usable.

As for the disconnects I have been thinking about using the "Mesh Technology" setting for some of the devices that don't need to roam and the machine using a VPN is a Windows machine fairly near the router, so it surely doesn't need to roam, I'll give that a go.

I would like to take this oppertunity to say that I quite like the Deco mesh functionality and I've used quite a few implementations over the years.

I am also very pleased to see there is the oppertunity to pass on problem information to software engineering via the forum which is often not possible.

Thanks

Ian

Options
2023-08-30 07:43:20 - last edited 2023-08-30 07:47:31

I have an interesting story.

I thought I'd do a factory default reset to see if that would improve things.

It didn't, in fact it made things worse.

So here's what happened in the following investigation.

First I found that the netmask had been set to 255.255.252.0 and not 255.255.255.0.

My netmask for the WAN is in fact 255.255.252.0 but that may be a conicedence.

While that shouldn't be a problem lots of applications don't grok variable subnet masks so I changed it

to what it normally would be on every router I've ever seen. That helped with the problems I had been

seeing with Plex constantly transcoding because it thought the clients were not local. But that was more

or less my fault because that problem is not uncommon anyway so I specify a list of local subnets in the

Plex server configuration which was missing the Deco subnet setting as well.

At this point I was still seeing playback stop randomly or start buffering for extended an amount of time.

I just could not work out why ... and then ...

I rebooted the Deco units and went into my sons room to watch TV before retiring.

Now the setup I was seeing all the trouble with is identical to what he has in his room except for the TV

screen size and an Apple TV 4k 2022 64GB vs a 128GBion the other room. These are connected to

a Fire TV Cube gen 3 in both cases which I was using for Plex playback.

The surprising thing was that I was able to watch more than an hour of a movie on the Cube before

retiring which I was not able to do at the other location. The following day I was also able to watch a

full 2 hour movie on the Cube that I was having all the trouble with the previous day.

The only difference is that I didn't use the Android Deco app at all after the reboot.

I'll continue to test but it looks like the Android deco app implementation is causing problems for

the my Deco devices!

I'm not sure if this explains the miro-disconnect problems I have seen with the VPN client on my

Windows machine yet but the reboot requests due to client list errors don't happen with the Apple

app. The frequent marking nodes as down when they aren't still happens. 

Ian

Options
2023-08-30 08:03:24 - last edited 2023-08-30 08:03:57

raven-au wrote

The only difference is that I didn't use the Android Deco app at all after the reboot.

I should also say that I was using the Apple Deco app during this time, it has always run quite

a bit smoother than the Android app.

Options
2023-08-31 06:05:01

So, I need to update my story with further findings.

It seems that the Android app, while it has it's problems, is not responsible for the problems I'm seeing here.

In the previous post I neglected to account for one other difference following the reboot I described and that is I didn't

run the VPN client (using a split tunnel setup) on the Plex server machine. Now I find that running the client introduces

the hang problems I had seen with local video playback.

I'm not quite finished yet though, I'll also test without split tunneling to see if that is causing the problem.

Options
2023-09-01 21:27:55

Hey  @raven-au,

I am so happy to see this post, 

I have the XE75 Pro V2 and get the exact same issues reported in points 1 to for in you post.

I have reported with numerous logs but each time I am told to submit more logs and videos.

Here are some of the screenshots from the issues I faced.

1) unable to obtain the client list.

4) nodes showing disconnected

Options
2023-09-02 00:41:24

BenGinders wrote

Hey  @raven-au,

I am so happy to see this post, 

I have the XE75 Pro V2 and get the exact same issues reported in points 1 to for in you post.

I have reported with numerous logs but each time I am told to submit more logs and videos.

@BenGinders certainly on my iPad the client list errors don't occur but the node down happens on both Android and iPadOS, I can only assume it's the same on iOS.

The interesting thing is on iPadOS when I swipe down on the client list to refresh it the spinning wheel is gone quite quickly but takes ages on Android.

I suspect the problem lies in the Android development kit code but other vendors have worked around it so TP Link should be able to.

I have no idea what could be causing the node down messages, that's got to be the TP Link communications protocol between the devices, really needs fixing IMHO.

Options
2023-09-21 11:09:17

Hi  @raven-au 

I didn't see this before now, and i think we a related issue.

"Client drops off the wireless daily under normal work and during Teams meetings." 

I got the same XE75 3-pack kit and using the Iphone app, i see disconnects on the work laptop (VPN connected) and also loosing connection in the app to satellites. I have not experienced the Client-list issue.

Options
2023-10-09 15:16:34
I am using the android app and getting the same issues. App is constantly telling me to reboot. CLient list doesn't load. All slave AP's have green LED's but network is unstable and unusable. I set this network up twice; once out of the box and then tried to reset Master and slave AP's - same result. Ready to throw in the towel given this network is so unstable. Pains me to say that my old Google mesh system was more stable than this and trust me, that is an EXTREMELY low bar.
Options
2023-10-13 14:53:05
Question: would it be possibel to downgrade firmware just to see if you get the same issues. I have this deco router XE75 V2 but my firmware is ver 1.1.1 230327 Build 54700 and it seems to be quite stable. Just throwing out my two cents worth for you guys
Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 1349

Replies: 12

Related Articles