Deco XE75 port 1 no longer working

2023-08-23 15:21:11
Tags: #Firmware Update #Ethernet
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.7

Good day. A few months ago lost my internet connection and after no luck debugging the issue I simply swap my ISP ethernet cable from port 1 to 3

• Before swaping: Port 1 ISP. Port 2 Deco Secondary unit. Port 3 Switch
  • After swaping. Port 1 Switch. Port 2 Deco Secondary unit. Port 3 Switch

Several weeks later there were some power outages due rain & wind. Internet and Deco units recovered but devices connected to switch were no longer accesible

• Removing the swicth and connecting the device (example. laptop) to port 1 didn't fix the issue (no switch issue)
  • Ethernet cables working as intended (neither failure here)
  • Attempt several scenarios (cant recall them) but ultimately only port 2 & 3 were working as intended

Upgrading to 1.2.6 didn't fix the issue and just yesterday I update to beta firmware 1.2.7 with promising results yet still issues

My results

• 2 XE75 Deco units
  • Device and connection seems stable. No performance or disconnection issues so far
  • Ethernet port 1 is empty, port 2 goes to a switch, port 3 goes to ISP
  • Port 2 switch has on it: 1. Ethernet connection to Arlo hub station (security cameras), 2. Ethernet connection to network HDD, 3. Ethernet connection to another Deco XE75 unit

• Main Deco Working scenarios
    • Scenario 1: Port 1 empty. Port 2 switch. Port 3 ISP. Secondary Deco working as intended.
    • Scenario 2: Port 1 empty. Port 2 ISP. Port 3, switch. Seocndary Deco working as intended

• Main Deco NOT working scenarios
    • Scenario 3. Port 1 ISP. Port 2 switch. Port 3 empty (no IP, red light, no internet)
    • Scenario 4. Port 1 ISP. Port 2 empty. Port 3 switch (no IP, red light, no internet)
    • Scenario 5. Port 1 switch (w/o Deco unit). Port 2 ISP. Port 3 empty (there's internet, Secondary Deco works, but whatever is connected to the switch will be unaccessible)
    • Scenario 6. Port 1 switch (w/o Deco unit). Port 2 ISP. Port 3 Secondary Deco unit (There's internet, Secondary Deco works as well but devices connected to switch are unaccessible)
    • Scenario 7. Port 1 switch (w Deco unit). Port 2 ISP. Port 3 empty (There's internet at first, but after a few minutes the whole internet will stop working, including internet WiFi)
    • In brief
      • Whatever is connected to port 1 is NOT detected by Deco App
      • Whatever is connected to port 1 will not have internet
      • If there's another Deco unit connected to port 1 via a switch it will likely crash the Internet at all, including WiFi

After this, did swap Deco roles 

• Working scenarios (Main Deco, used to be Secondary)
    • Scenario 1: Port 1 empty. Port 2 switch. Port 3 ISP. Secondary Deco working as well
    • Scenario 2: Port 1 empty. Port 2 ISP. Port 3, switch. Secondary Deco working as well
    • Scenario 3. Port 1 ISP. Port 2 switch. Port 3 empty. Secondary Deco working as well
    • Scenario 4. Port 1 ISP. Port 2 empty. Port 3 switch. Secondary Deco working as well
    • Scenario 5. Port 1 switch. Port 2 ISP. Port 3 empty. Secondary Deco working as well
    • Scenario 6. Port 1 switch. Port 2 any device. Port 3 ISP. Secondary Deco working as well
    • Secondary Deco (old Main Deco) WORKS if connected via port 2 or 3

• NOT working scenarios
    • Old main deco (now secondary deco) NO working if connected via Ethernet port 1

Looks like Ethernet port 1 is my issue... Any way to figure out the root cause? Port no longer working? Really doesn't make sense that only 1 port is no longer working

Options
39 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 port 1 no longer working
2023-08-23 20:13:59

@AGMV 

A couple of months ago I woke up to no internet. Did the troubleshooting only to find out Ethernet Port 1 stopped working. Just recently I have disconnected my Xe75 and I am using just three x55 much better experience in terms of stability. 

Options
2023-08-23 20:45:16 - last edited 2023-08-23 20:49:57

Most accurate description. As simple as that, one day port 1 stopped working. No errors, no nothing, simply stopped working.

At the beginning I thought it was my 6 years old storage network, or my 4 years old security cameras or my 8 years old laptop or the super cheap TP-link unattended switch but no... it is the Ethernet port. There has been several power outages at home but till now not a single device has been damage. Also, even after a factory reset, that Ethernet port still doesn't works.

Overall stability and performance remains good but still, such a disappointment that a quite new Deco unit (bought April 1st, 2023) is already malfunctioning with no easy way to diagnose more than plain trial and error (discard cables... discard devices...). Deco App not resourceful at all 

Options
2023-08-28 02:05:59

@AGMV I am also facing the same issue. I checked in modem that the Deco is not sending out any packets/traffic from port 1. This looks like a wide spread issue. BTW I had a power backup to the device and it never went down. So it is not because of power fluctuations. 

Options
2023-08-29 00:07:02

@abhidev I truly believe is not a power-related issue. Even with the many power outages at home, so far not a single device has been damage and it is extremely unlikely that only one port of one deco is the only casualty of those power failures. Not even the connected devices to that ethernet port during those power outages faced issues.

Windows network diagnose did provide additional info on this. The port "is there" but was unable to assign a valid IP (Error: Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration). Windows recommendation: reset Ethernet, which is something I cannot do via Deco app. Even a factory reset didn't work.

Another thing that I notice was when I was trying to access my network HDD (connected to the faulty Deco Ethernet port 1) via the HDD app at my notebook. The HDD app found the network HDD but was unable to access it. The HDD app highlighted that the assigned IP to that HDD was 169.254.X.X which is a link-local addrees meaning the Deco DCHP was not reachable via that Ethernet port

Yup. I do agree, feels more software/driver related

Options
2023-09-20 12:20:31

@AGMV 

I also have an XE75 V1 on firmware 1.2.7 but I have a slightly different scenario. All my Decos are hardwired in a daisy chain for backhaul and all the ports work but for whatever reason my Tado internet bridge refuses to work in port 2 of my main Deco. It works in port 1 and 3 and other ethernet devices work in port 2 but the Deco refuses to provide the Tado unit with internet on that port and it doesn't even show up in the device list. No weather related issues, just had to disconnect the system to install a shelf and plugged everything back in!

XE75 V1.0 3-pack / Wired backhaul / Router mode / UK
Options
2023-10-07 22:38:51

@AGMV 

I am having exact issue on xe5300, any solution you find?

Options
2023-10-08 23:14:38

@AGMV have you triee downgrading the firmware?

Options
2023-10-09 04:43:43

@Ukguy115 , sadly no solution from my side... tried everything and even e-mail/contact TP-Link support team. After a quick chat with them their diagnose was "faulty hardware", no further explanation. They suggest to sent back the unit to TP-Link as factory warranty is still valid. As I live outside US that is a no go for me

Options
2023-10-09 04:45:38

@ansj64 no.. did not downgrade but unlikely to go this approach... the auto update will break the device once again assuming this is a firmware/software issue. 

Options
2023-10-09 05:12:03

@AGMV just updated to 1.2.8 Build 20230901 Rel. 36505 and issue still remains. Same port, still not working

Options