Limited internet connection when swaping back from extender to router. Out of idea.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Limited internet connection when swaping back from extender to router. Out of idea.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-02 18:49:41

I bought a wifi range extender yesterday (TL-WA865RE) to finally have a connection on the other side of the house.

The installation seemed easy enough with wps between my internet provider router and the extender. Everything went fine.

At that ime I had my laptop and a television connected on the router and I had two smartphones and another laptop connected on the extender to test it out. Everything was smooth. Good reception on the extender and able to reach the far side of the house. Perfect.

Now come the weird part. Today I switched some of the phones back to the original routeur and noticed a limited internet connection. The devices can connect to the wifi antenna without any issue, just no internet connection. I moved all the devices back on the extender. All can connect and get internet. I moved back all the devices on the routeur. All get limited connection.

If I unplug the extender, all devices can connect again on the routeur with full connection. Plugging back the extender, all devices can switch on it again with good connection. Going back on the routeur, limited connection.

So to summarize: connect on A, all good. Connect on B, all good. Connect back on A, limited connection.

I don't understand what setting on the routeur might be the issue.

The extender is set in the correct mode. DHCP on the routeur (192.168.1.1) was set as (192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.100) so I put on the extender (192.168.1.2) at (192.168.1.60 - 192.168.1.100) to avoid ip overlap.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice welcome. The extender really seems to do the job as far as the wifi coverage is concerned, but not being able to go back to the original routeur without unplugging it kind of defeat the purpose of it.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Limited internet connection when swaping back from extender to router. Out of idea.
2023-09-06 03:24:09

@GreyCat 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

May I know the model number of the devices that you have found experienced the issue with the limited connection?

Are they IOS devices?

It is suggested to turn off the Private address on the clients to see whether it helped.

And can I have a screenshot of the IP settings on the 865RE- I put on the extender (192.168.1.2) at (192.168.1.60 - 192.168.1.100) to avoid ip overlap?

Have you tried to switch it back to obtaining an IP address automatically?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options