Upgrade to full fibre

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Upgrade to full fibre

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Upgrade to full fibre
Upgrade to full fibre
2023-09-06 15:09:38 - last edited 2023-09-07 02:31:36
Model: Deco X73-DSL  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am upgrading from fibre to the exchange to full fibre will i still becable to ise my 1 plus year olf deco x73 dsl based system and will i have to change any settings. My isp is plusnet

Options
1 Reply
Re:Upgrade to full fibre
2023-09-06 17:14:28

@ColinChambers59 

Hey

Yes you can indeed use your existing Deco for Full Fibre connections from Plusnet.

Plusnet will likely install a small white box in your house called an ONT, this is where the fibre comes in from outside and is then coverted to a normal network cable connection.  You now have 2 choices here

1.  Plug your new/existing Plusnet router WAN PORT  into the  LAN port on the ONT, then connect your Deco into the one of hte LAN ports on the Plusnet router.   This is likely the easiest to setup and wont require any reconfiguring, likely similar to what you have at present

2.  Bypass the Plusnet router..    Connect your Deco straight to the ONT LAN port, then you would need to run the internet wizard on your Deco App, choose PPPoE as your internet type and add your plusnet username and password to allow the Deco to connect.  The deco is then directly connected and you dont need the Plusnet router at all

IMHO.. option 2 is more setup, but honestly the better option as its not just neater and less hardware, it also avoids double NAT which can be a pain if you have xbox/playstation gamers.     I would recommend option 2 personally.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 185

Replies: 1

Related Articles