Slower speeds in Access Point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-07 09:23:43 - last edited 2023-09-08 08:52:14

I've got the Archer C1200. I've been using it for years now, but recently I changed it from router mode to Access Point mode for a better direct connection between WAN and my servers. Since then, the download speeds have been around 25-35% of what I used to be able to get.
I have gigabit internet and was always able to get around 950 mbps on fast.com. Now when I try I get about 350 on a good day.

Everything is wired. From modem to router to PC. I also tried testing it on other devices and plugging into the modem directly, which gets me near 1 gbps.

In Access Point mode there aren't many settings available so I'm not sure what I could possibly change to help.
If anyone could help me, that would be great.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Slower speeds in Access Point mode
2023-09-08 10:59:07 - last edited 2023-09-08 10:59:32

@crashmaker 

Hi, do you mean the Archer C1200 is using as AP mode and connected to a modem directly? or connected to a modem and router combined?

Please try different Ethernet cables to see if it makes any difference, and if you change it back to router mode with the same physical connections, will it change back to 950Mbps again?

By the way, what is the hardware and firmware version of your Archer C1200?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-09-08 11:19:04

@Sunshine Yes, the router is in AP mode. From my modem it goes to my router, and from there it goes to my pc.
I just changed it back into router mode today, and my speeds are normal again.
I had to put the hardware and firmware version into the new thread info so that's weird that it's not showing it in the thread now.

Hardware V2 and firmware 2.0.3 Build 20211219 Rel. 67401 (EU)
Saw a bunch of other posts of people with similar issues so I'm assuming it's an old issue that tplink is not interested in fixing.

Options
2023-11-14 19:04:44

@crashmaker Hi,

Just noticed the same. Like you, I recently changed to AP mode aswell, to "merge" my 2 networks from the ISP's moden and 1200ac router together in one network. Like you to have better connection to my (upcoming) servers and have access to all of my smarthome and casting devices from any wifi AP.

Today I noticed a slow and unsteady connection and did a speed test. Did not made it to 400mbit, where it should be arount 1.1gbit.

I found this post:Archer C1200 Access Point mode half speed LAN ports - Home Network Community (tp-link.com)

Like the last comment suggested, I plugged the upstream cable coming from ISP modem/router, into one of the yellow ethernetports (instead of the blue internetport).

I kept my pc in one of the other yellow ethernetports. This fixed the issue for me. I now got 1.1gbit again.

Aparently, in AP mode, all ports are the same, but only between the ethernetports there is a gbit connection.

Hopes this helps for you too!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2953

Replies: 3

Related Articles