Network Optimization - Detection Failed

2023-09-19 11:10:30
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20230403 Rel. 66598

Hi all

I have been using Deco M9 Plus around the house for the past 2 years or so, without any issues. Broadband provider is Virgin Media. 

However, over the past 6 months, the network has been running extremely bad, although my broadband connection & speed has been fine. I think it has been because of the network interference. In which case, I usually go into Network Optimization in the Deco app, and change the 2ghz & 5ghz channels to another channel with lower inteference. The problem is when scanning the network after click network optimization, it comes back with an error message 'Detection Failed. Please try again.'

This has been happening since the last Deco update, and I have phoned and logged numerous calls with Deco Support, with no one getting back to me. I then had someone get back to me yesterday, asking me to explain the whole problem again!! (@Deco Support - happy to provide the log numbers if required)

I am very close to ditching Deco, and moving across to Google Wifi. 

NOTE - the same issue mentioned above is happening at my parents home and also my friends home, from the same time period as we all have the same Deco M9 Plus installed, so I know it is not just me!

This is my last attempt before I switch across to a competitor.

Has anyone else had this isssue? And if so, what did you do to resolve?

Thanks

Dipal

Options
9 Reply
Re:Network Optimization - Detection Failed
2023-09-20 09:50:45

@Dipal 

Hi, could you please refer to this link to help me submit the Deco APP log here:

How to submit Deco APP log

I ran into this issue before but it was restored automatically later. Apart from the error message in Network Optimization, I noticed you mentioned that "the network has been running extremely bad, although my broadband connection & speed has been fine". Can I have more details, like devices randomly dropping out or the websites being too slow to load?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2023-10-16 11:16:01

@Dipal Hi all, I can confirm that this is still unresolved since my original post and seems to be going round the block. I have since got rid of my Deco mesh system and left it in a black box in the shed. I have purchased a Linksys mesh network instead - will keep you guys posted on what it is like in comparison. 

If anyone else has this same issue, then I would recommend to ditch TP-Link, and go with another company too! 

Options
2023-10-19 22:45:37 - last edited 2023-10-19 22:47:33

@Dipal @David-TP I've been having this issue since the last firmware update to my 3 Deco M5s. But when I tap "Detection Failed. Please try again." it then appears to scan again, for only 1 to 1.5 seconds, and returns the result that both channels are optimal and reports the 5GHz channel to be Channel "0". As reported by the clients, It's actually using 5GHz channel 44, and will never ever stray from that despite reboots nor changing its 2.4GHz channel.

I contacted support who eventually funneled me to the RMA department who rejected my request because it's been more than 90 days since purchase.

Pretty disappointed.

Options
2023-10-20 02:05:52

@AlarmingMelon 

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I checked the ticket record. I am sorry that I could not help with the warranty policy.

I noticed you bought from eBay TP-link US official. The warranty from the US warranty office then, is 90 days for the refurbished product.  But eBay provides a 2-year Allstate warranty for its official certified refurbished partners. I think you could consider proceeding with the warranty service from eBay directly.

https://pages.ebay.com/refurbishedprogramwarranty/index.html

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-10-24 17:12:21 - last edited 2023-10-24 17:17:25

@David-TP Thank you for the advice. While I have you, may I ask if there's any way to backup the Decos' configuration?

From what I see in the app and found searching these forums, it appears there's not, but double-checking. If not, hopefully that's a feature that could come in future firmware, as it's been a relatively standard feature of other router products and would certainly be convenient to customers who set up separate ioT networks, QoS preferences, and client connection preferences. 

EDIT: Second question, I actually purchased 1 unit via eBay as the seller, the other 2 Deco units were purchased from Amazon, also "renewed", approximately 1 year ago. Would they be subject to the same 90 day window, and does Amazon cover them any longer? If not, unfortunately all 3 units are past 90 days.

Options
2023-10-25 10:02:24

@AlarmingMelon 

Hi, recently, there has been a new round of features under evaluation and I do see it is planned to support network backup on Deco.

But as usual, there is no ETA for it.

As for the warranty period for Amazon renewed devices, I think it is 90 days as well which should be mentioned in the product link and you could have a further check. But I am not sure if Amazon has any extended warranty.

The good thing about Deco is that each Deco could be set as the main unit and the network configuration will be saved as long as the main unit is online. In other words, if you get a replaced or new Deco later and add it to the previous mesh, it starts working as a satellite Mesh, and after switching to the main Deco, it would also get a copy of the current network configuration from the original main Deco so that the settings of separate ioT networks, QoS preferences would not be lost. However, the client connection preference needs to be reconfigured.

It also needs to be mentioned that if you haven't tried to switch to a different Deco as the main Deco in the previous troubleshooting, it's also worth a try.

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-01-26 18:35:40

@David-TP 

i have exactly the same issue, no more optimisation possible and even with the latest update...

Options
2024-01-26 18:56:50

@WalterH Hi, I can confirm since starting this post I have had a couple of correspondences with the Deco technical support team. All of the correspondences have fizzled out with no solution to the issue. 

I have since ditched the Deco mesh system, and gone with another competitor. 

hope you all manage to find a solution in the near future!! 

best wishes 

Options
2024-04-10 10:39:15

I've been getting the same issue with my 3x M9's for the past year or so, disappointing that I'd have to redo my entire config and Nat rules just to try a system reset that may not even solve it

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1357

Replies: 9

Related Articles