[Closed]Public Beta Release for Archer AX55 V1 to Enhance Its Ability to Recognize Client Devices

[Closed]Public Beta Release for Archer AX55 V1 to Enhance Its Ability to Recognize Client Devices

2023-09-27 07:52:08 - last edited 2024-01-31 02:05:17
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20230926

Hello,

We are excited to announce that TP-Link has collaborated with Fing to enhance client device recognition capabilities. This collaboration enables our router to accurately identify and categorize the connected client devices.

This improvement brings significant benefits to your network management. By accurately recognizing client device types, you can gain better insights into the device ecosystem of your network, including smartphones, tablets, computers, smart home devices, and more. This will help you manage network resources more effectively, optimize bandwidth allocation, and exercise finer control over devices on the network.

In addition, the beta firmware brings new features to HomeShield Pro parental controls. With the latest update, you can now gain more control over your device by blocking over 2000 apps from various categories, such as TikTok, Minecraft, and Discord. Additionally, you have the flexibility to set up app time limits or always allow your favorite and frequently-used apps.

If you are experiencing some issues with the client device recognition on Archer AX55 V1, or are interested in the new HomeShied parental control features, it is highly recommended to try this beta firmware.

Direct Download Link:

Archer AX55_V1_1.2.5_Build 20230926

Improvements and Modifications:

1. Enhanced the ability to recognize client types

2. Optimized OpenVPN performance

3. Added new HomeShield Pro parental control features including Blocked Apps, App Time Limits, Always Allowed Apps etc.

Parental Control Features      Blocked Apps                     App Time Limits                   Always Allowed Apps

Notes:

1. Please be sure you have read the Terms and Conditions for TP-Link Beta Firmware before proceeding

2. This public beta firmware for Archer AX55 V1 can be applied to all versions (EU/US/JP/TW/etc.).

After installing the beta firmware, please pay close attention to any improvements in client device recognition, particularly for IoT devices, compared to previous experiences.

If there are still any misidentifications of the client devices, kindly provide us with the brand and model number of the client devices for further investigation.

Your feedback is highly valuable in continuously enhancing our client device recognition capabilities.

Related Article:

Public Beta Release to Improve OpenVPN Performance on Archer AX73/AX55

How do I block or manage APP traffic with HomeShield Advanced Parental Control on a TP-Link Router/Deco?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Public Beta Release for Archer AX55 V1 to Enhance Its Ability to Recognize Client Devices
2023-09-27 18:03:35 - last edited 2023-09-27 18:56:32

@Sunshine Does this firmware also remedy the highly erroneous real-time rates that are displayed next to each client? It's never been reflecting the true down/up speeds by at least a factor of 7, which is strange to say the least. This could also be attributed to the fact that said values in the webUI never refresh per second, but almost certainly every about 15-20', so I believe a simple algorith should be used / or the existing one needs tweaking to accomodate for the fact.

And since we're discussing the network map pane I also believe this general trend going towards UI elements using as much space as possible is causing more issues than solves. Old iterations of TP-Link firmware on gear such as the TD-W8980 and the likes used streamlined tables where I could easily monitor 20-30 lines (clients) all at the same time, when in this 'modern' UI I can barely fit 10 in a full page on a 2.5k screen...

Could you also kindly provide some real-world specs for the AX55...for example what is the max number of connected WiFi clients and port forwarding rules?

Now serving finite customer via f(x)=AirTime/∞ on the 5Ghz band :-/
Options
Re:Public Beta Release for Archer AX55 V1 to Enhance Its Ability to Recognize Client Devices
2023-09-28 12:02:33 - last edited 2023-09-28 12:15:10

@Sunshine Hello, does this FW fix also issues with shared storage? Share over SMB randomly fails with error 0x80070032 (more is here https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/612704) and DLNA (or Media share) is completely broken. Media share doesn't recognize most of the movies despite all of the movies have supported format. Also browsing is spoiled as it shows multiple times the same folder names.

Options
2023-10-10 14:51:25

@Sunshine 

Great news! Will a new firmware that improves OpenVPN performance be available for AX53 also?

Options
2023-10-17 18:00:18 - last edited 2023-10-18 09:09:37

@Sunshine 

I just uploaded the firmware to my AX55 test router and to an AP mode AX55 on my local network.  More than an hour has passed and I noted the following:

1.  An iPhone5 was connected to the AX55 test router on the 2,4 Ghz main network for about 45 minutes.  The IPhone Wifi was then turned off.  The test router still shows the iPhone as a connected client after half an hour so it would appear that the Connected Clients list is not updatng properly.

2. All of the wireless clients connecting to the AP mode router (a large mix of IoT devices, cameras, iPhones, etc.) are displaying the same icon (a circle with three dots). It appears the client identification feature is not working in AP mode, at least with the icons.

UPDATE:

1.  After leaving the test router on all night, this morning the clients list still shows the iPhone5 as connected.

2.  A connection was established with an iPhone8 on the test router.  For the device name, the list displays "network device".  Not knowing how precise the client identification feature is supposed to be, I don't know if this normal or not.  The icon is a circle with 3 dots just like what appears on the AP router with all the devices.

3.  The main router was just upgraded with the beta firmware. Most connected devices display the circle icon as mentioned above. Three Reolink cameras display a computer icon as does one of two PCs. One PC (an iMac running Windows) displays the computer icon correctly while another PC (an HP All-In-One desktop) displays the circle icon. Four Amazon Echo devices all display an icon which resembles a tablet.  Finally, one air conditioner (Daikin) displays a hexagon icon with what looks like a fan blade in the center. The other air conditioner is connected via the access point which has the icon problem mentioned above.

Options
2023-10-18 08:40:12 - last edited 2023-10-18 08:41:49

@jra11500 

Thank you very much for the feedback, we have reported the issue you mentioned to our support engineers, once there is any update, I will let you know.

In addition, regarding the client name of the iPhone 8, please check if you enabled private address, if so, try to disable it to see if correct name will be displayed.

Options
2023-10-18 09:05:31 - last edited 2023-10-18 09:06:15

@Sunshine 

The private address was enabled. After disabling it, the old name reappeared that had been configured previously.  The icon also changed from a circle to a cellphone.  I will have to check all my iPhones and iPads to see if they are configured for a private address.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Options
2023-10-18 09:49:50

@Sunshine 

New Update:

The AX55 router has been up and running for a little over an hour.  The icon has changed back to a circle on almost all of the devices.  Only the iMac, the old iPhone 5, and two first generation iPads are still showing the correct icon.

Options
2023-10-20 14:33:16

@Sunshine 

Following up to my previous posts, I would like to add the following comments:

1.  After several days with the beta firmware, I have experienced problems where three different PCs (an iMac running Windows, an HP laptop, and an HP desktop) do not obtain an IP address from the router after being powered off for a prolonged period.  The DHCP is not working properly.  The router appears to be connected to the internet as evidenced by its green lights and by devices already connected such as SIP telephones.  To get the PC connected, I must manually assign an IP address, establish the connection, and then change the connection back to DHCP.

2.  Not being familiar with Fing, I decided to download the Fing desktop version to see what its capabilities are regarding client identification.  At first, I could not even get the program to execute on two PCs, but I finally got it to run on the HP desktop.  I was rather disappointed when Fing could only identify some 13 devices out of more than 25 on my LAN.  The identification that it did perform was only partial, usually giving me just the manufacturer’s name.  For example, it could not identify any Reolink IP cameras, Daikin air conditioners, Echo devices, Devolo non-WiFi PLC devices, and even some TP-Link routers such as the TL-WR840N.  If their own software can not properly (or accurately) identify these LAN devices, then one must think that the TP-Link firmware can do no better.  Something else that I do not like is the idea of having to generate traffic to third-part servers for device identification.

3.  Due to the connection problems mentioned above and seeing that the client identification is not really any better than with the current firmware, I downgraded the firmware in all my routers back to the current 1.2.3 version.  That, in itself, wasn’t easy either as the normal upgrade process doesn’t work when trying to go back to the previous version.  Fortunately, I found the needed information for downgrading on the TP-Link website.

4.  My recommendation to TP-Link would be to not implement (for now) the supposed client identification features of Fing.  If those features are going to be implemented, then provide an option, such as “Enhanced Client Detection” that can be disabled if the end user does not need it or want to use it.

Options
2023-10-28 17:56:52

@Sunshine 

Ethernet cable backhaul for mesh please :(

Options
2023-11-02 04:01:25

@mamiwhereru 

Hi, we have released a new beta firmware which added Ethernet Backhaul already, please have a try and leave us your comments on this thread: Public Beta Release for Archer AX55 V1 Supporting Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT and ECO Mode etc. 

Options