Deco S7 Issue: Red LED Blinking but Internet is Online

2023-10-06 11:18:42 - last edited 2023-11-16 02:22:52

Hello,

I have another TP-Link Deco S7 (EU) system my parent's home (3 units, all units are running version 1.20 with Firmware Version 1.4.1 Build 20230324 Rel. 50892).

The hardware and firmware versions are the same with my Decos located on my home: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/624408

The Decos on my parent's home have another problem: All three Deco units start blinking red after approximately 24 hours of use. The internet connection remains consistently active, whether the LED lights are blinking red or not.

I've diligently explored various solutions outlined in the community forum, and it appears that the blinking red LED indicates a failure in making successful DNS requests, leading to the system perceiving the internet connection as offline.

Here are the steps I've taken to address this issue:

1) Modified the ISP Router's primary and secondary DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

2) Adjusted the Deco application settings under "More" -> "Internet Connection" -> "IPv4" -> "DNS settings" to manual, with primary and secondary DNS set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

3) Set the ISP's router firewall to the lowest available level (unfortunately, there's no option to disable it entirely).

4) Performed a hard reset on the Decos.

5) Replaced the main Deco unit.

Despite these efforts, the problem persists.

For context, my parents' home is using Superonline as the ISP in Turkey, and a ZTE Home Gateway ZXHN H3600 is being used as the ISP's router.

The only temporary workaround I've found to prevent the red LED blinking issue is by adjusting the Deco application settings as follows: "Led Control" -> "LED = Active," and "Led Off Time = Active" (Start Time: 12.00 AM - End Time: 11.59 PM). Simply turning off the LED does not resolve the issue; I must specify LED Off start and end times.

For instance, in the future, an option could be added to the Deco application and firmware to control whether the internet connection is checked at specific intervals. If the internet connection is to be monitored, a firmware and Deco application update could be implemented, offering options such as DNS, "Ping," or "Either One" (internet connection is considered active if either DNS or ping is successful). Additionally, when the LED is turned off via the Deco application, it should never light up under any circumstances. To ensure that the LED never lights up, the LED start and end times should be set, for example, from 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Best regards.

@david-tp

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco S7 Issue: Red LED Blinking but Internet is Online-Solution
2023-11-10 10:30:36 - last edited 2023-11-16 02:22:52

@meto85 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Now, a beta firmware is ready to fix this issue. Please install the beta firmware and check whether it helps:

Deco S7 Red LEDs but Internet is Online

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco S7 Issue: Red LED Blinking but Internet is Online-Solution
2023-11-10 10:30:36 - last edited 2023-11-16 02:22:52

@meto85 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Now, a beta firmware is ready to fix this issue. Please install the beta firmware and check whether it helps:

Deco S7 Red LEDs but Internet is Online

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco S7 Issue: Red LED Blinking but Internet is Online
2023-11-10 19:46:59 - last edited 2023-11-10 19:55:28

@David-TP 

Hi,

I have updated the firmware of my three Decos via the web interface (http://tplinkdeco.net/) to the beta version 1.4.1, Build 20230406 Rel. 830.

I will test the new beta firmware for a few days and I will share the results on this page.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Best regards.

I set my "Led Control" setting on my Deco application as below (I turned off the led) and I am testing with the setting below:

Options
2023-11-13 02:10:36

@meto85 

Hi, Thank you very much and I will wait for your feedbacklaugh.

best regards.

Options
2023-11-15 19:49:13

@David-TP 

Hi,

I've successfully installed beta firmware version 1.4.1, Build 20230406 Rel. 830 on both my Decos (3 packs) and my parent's Decos (3 packs).

After testing the beta firmware for nearly 3 days (72 hours), everything appears to be functioning as expected.

1) While the Internet is Online:

• With the LED setting off in the Deco application, the LED lights remain off, as expected.
  • Enabling the LED setting via the Deco application results in white lights, as expected.
  • The "Led Off Time" setting is also working as expected.

2) After I manually turn off the Internet (Unplugging the data cable from the modem):

• With the LED setting off in the Deco application, the LED lights remain off, as expected.
  • Enabling the LED setting via the Deco application results in solid red lights, as expected.
  • The "Led Off Time" setting is working as expected.

Everything seems ok.

Again thank you very much for your support.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 570

Replies: 4

Related Articles