Fixed IP addresses not allocated as expected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-16 15:29:50
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

On my home network, I want to have some fixed IP addresses reserved for particular devices such as file server etc. I set these up in the Address Reservation  table in Advanced Settings, with IP addressses allocated to the appropriate device MAC addresses. Also, the DHCP server is configured only to allocate addresses below 192.168.1.99 so that I can use adresses above this for my fixed ones.

However, I find that devices are being allocated to addresses that are different to the fixed address that I specified and within the pool of variable addresses. Also addresses in the range that I want to be allocated to fixed are being given to other devices, occasionally in conflict with my fixed IP reservation.

I am using the VR400 modem/router with an RE315 OneMesh range extender which appears to have an impact on the IP address allocations.

Is there a way to use these devices together so that I can reliably set up fixed IP addresses on my network?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Fixed IP addresses not allocated as expected
2023-10-17 00:24:46

@Zebop917 

Make sure that your IP address reservations are  below 192.168.1.99 (within VR400 DHCP server pool).

Use the IP addresses above 192.168.1.100 for fixed IP addresses that are set on your devices as static IP address.

Also make sure that the devices that are using address reservation are using their real MAC address  - not a randomized MAC address (check this FAQ for details).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-10-17 16:40:02

@terziyski I have temporarily stopped all the iOS devices from using private wi-fi MAC addresses so that they are easier to identify. I have got the MAC addresses of the devices that I want to have fixed IP addresses and set these up in the Address Reservation table of the VR400. The DHCP server is set up to only provide IP addresses in the range n.n.n.10 to n.n.n.99

Now, when I look at the IP addresses of the various clients that are connected, I can see devices that have addresses n.n.n.104 etc. (others above 100)that have NOT been entered as fixed addresses in the Address Reservation table. By my understanding, this should not be happening and I would really like to know what is happening here.

Options
2023-10-17 22:30:33 - last edited 2023-10-18 00:42:23

@Zebop917 

Probably this post will shed some light on that matter. Follow the FAQ posted and check if that suits your needs.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 525

Replies: 3

Related Articles