Major Communications problems between TP-link AXE75 and other AX routers and Quest 3

Major Communications problems between TP-link AXE75 and other AX routers and Quest 3

12 Reply
Re:Major Communications problems between TP-link AXE75 and other AX routers and Quest 3 -Solution
2024-01-03 19:36:15 - last edited 2024-01-03 20:07:50

Hi. Let me try to give a quick summery.

Since the launch of the Quest 3, numerous users have encountered difficulties with their Wi-Fi connections. A notable bug affects certain mid-range AX and AXE routers, such as TP-Link's AXE75, leading to significant packet losses and varying negotiation rates. Consequently, connection speeds fluctuate between 480 and 1921 Mbps, occasionally reaching 2161 Mbps but rarely achieving the full 2401 Mbps speed.

In contrast, the Quest 2 maintains a stable 1200 Mbps on 5GHz dedicated networks. However, on release, the Quest 3 struggled to reach 720 Mbps, with speed fluctuations occurring every other second.

Meta was promptly notified of this issue on launch day and has been working on resolving it through build updates. Versions v.57 to v.60 have seen a dramatic reduction in negotiation rates, making wireless VR "usable" under certain conditions, particularly when in close proximity to the router and within the line of sight. Nevertheless, users still report random speed reductions to unusable levels (below 740 Mbps), even at close range, and some cannot see or connect to their 6GHz network at all.

TP-Link has been diligently working on resolving the issue since the initial launch. Unfortunately, their latest update indicates that they couldn't make a breakthrough on their end, and they believe the problem persists on the client side.

They've conducted thorough tests with various chipsets, including MTK, BCM, and QCA routers, and it seems these routers are experiencing similar issues. Their focus shifted to Meta software updates, and their most recent test with the Quest3 V60 suggests that while the negotiation rate still varies, the occasional streaming lag seems to have disappeared.

A glance at community posts (https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/Known-Isssue-Unstable-wifi-covarage-with-Quest-3-on-some-Router/td-p/1090698) reveals that TP-Link is not the only affected brand; users with Asus and other AX and AXE routers also face similar challenges. The root cause seems to be linked to either Meta or Qualcomm. Users have noted similar issues with the Google Pixel 7, leading to speculation about problems with the XR2 Gen2/Snapdragon 8 Gen2 drivers. So in other words it's in Meta and Qualcomm's hands at the moment.

Please go to Meta's forum and post your information as per Metas instructions:

"December 14th Update from @MetaQuestSupport 

Hey everyone! I wanted to let you all know that I heard back from our engineering team. It looks like there might've been some changes with the recent v60 update. I recommend checking your headset to make sure that it is updated to the latest version, and then checking your Wi-Fi connection with your headset. If you're still having trouble after updating your headset, please let me know the below information and I'll pass it along to our engineering team so this can be looked into further.

1. Router make and model.

2. Router firmware.

3. Full Headset version. (59.0.0.##) Go to Settings > System > Software Update"

You can also make a video grab of your issue and send it to Meta over the "report a problem" option in the headset.

For video references on the issue, a playlist in chronological order is available here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjn_5lkVKEO5DMyTvY9TQhLMz2GjPQZ-u&si=EA6jBE8xa4KJ-Cps

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Major Communications problems between TP-link AXE75 and other AX routers and Quest 3
Monday

@Mr_Tee 

for me it was fixed by setting randomized MAC address in wifi settings on quest3. previously it worked both ways...

Options
Related Articles