TV VLAN intermittently disconnects internet

2023-11-18 10:18:03
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.2 Build 20230906 Rel 80158

I installed some M9 units for my parents. They have both internet and TV via fiber connection to the house so I connected the main unit to the internet and TV (i.e two cables) to the fiber-box. Then I placed another M9 next to the TV and connected that via one cable. After setting up VLAN and choosing jack numbers for the TV connection, both internet and TV is working as expected.

However, every couple of weeks the main units seems to disconnect from the internet (TV also stops working) and the LED turns red. With the following procedure we can get it working again:

- Unplug the RJ45 cord to the fiber-boxs' TV outlet

- Powercycle the M9

- Wait until the M9 has internet connection and the LED is green

- Plug the RJ45 for the TV-connection back in

This seems to me like the "auto sensing" of which RJ45 jack is connected to internet suddenly decides to use the TV-jack instead and then everything just stops working. Is there some way to really FORCE a certain jack on the M9 to be either internet or TV? Or are there some other things one can do to stop this from happening?

Options
2 Reply
Re:TV VLAN intermittently disconnects internet
2023-11-20 06:03:53

@EmanuelW 

Hi, Welcome to the community.

Since the TV box is connected to the satellite Deco M9 Plus, I don't think it is related to the "Auto-sensing" feature since it requires both Ethernet connections to be from the main Deco.

When the main Deco M9 Plus turned red, if you checked the IPV4 settings under Deco APP>More>Internet connections>IPV4, are you still able to obtain the correct IP addresses here?

---Or can I have a screenshot of the IPV4 settings when Deco was red?

If not unplugging the TV boxes, are you able to restore the internet service by unplugging/plugging the internet cable from the fiber box/modem?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:TV VLAN intermittently disconnects internet
2023-11-30 19:34:22

@David-TP Hi and thanks!

I am sorry if I wasn't clear but I never touch the cable between the satellite Deco and TV. That one is always plugged in.

The procedure to get it working again is all on the main Deco. I.e what I refer to as " fiber-boxs' TV outlet" is a second port on the fiber box/modem dedicated to TV-traffic.

Hence my suspicion of the auto-sense as the main Deco has both the "Internet traffic port" and "TV-traffic port" from the fiber box/modem connected to it and plugging them in one by one solves the issue.

I will see if I am around when it stops working next time.

Options