Replacement for Cisco Meraki??

2023-12-09 15:30:05
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.6 Build 20220429 Rel. 44315

Is this a viable alternate for Cisco products??

I have been installing and supporting networks since the early 1980's. Worked with nearly all media that has been used in SMB installs. I became a great fan of Cisco in Y2K when implementing a WAN for a US retailler with multiple stores in major cities across the US. In 2017 I was contracted by a non-profit to install Wifi in it's 40,000 sqft warehouse. They already had 2 Meraki access points installed, (Which to that point I have had no exposure to). I have always been suspicious of 'plug and play' devices that didnt allow me the exact control of what I was doing. The other think I disliked about the Meraki was that licenses were required to be maintained or else the devices were turned into bricks. I was however impressed by the IOS interface that allowed me to make changes from an airplane seat at 30,000ft once!

I decided based on the current retail pricing of Cisco and Meraki to try out the TP-Link solution in this warehouse on the OC200. My thinking was that even if I did have hardware failures along the way, I could easily and gladly swap out a EAP245 much more cheaply that the Cisco or Meraki equivalent! AND the OC200 still gave me control through my iPhone to monitor and make changes.

I have repeated this in other warehouses and have had great results and so far have only swapped AP hardware out in order to take advantage of upgrades.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Replacement for Cisco Meraki??
2023-12-26 08:56:24

@Coinserv 

I have a set of Omada devices containing OC300, ER7206, EAP620s, and they have running stably for more than one year, and I'm planning to purchase more. Suggest you deploy them following this post, here are some helpful videos.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-12-26 16:41:31 - last edited 2023-12-26 16:43:01

@Coinserv 

if you are not needing the advance meraki features.  Then omada will suite you fine.

I'm full omada at work and home... never had an issue!

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-12-26 23:56:13 - last edited 2023-12-27 00:43:45

As a third 'wise man', let me echo the above statements.  As long as you don't need anything beyond basic monitoring and remote management of networks with a few VLANs, you will be both happy and successful with the current crop of Omada devices ( ER7212 all in one excluded).

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 307

Replies: 3

Related Articles