Testing HomeShield Security+

2023-12-15 16:15:22
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

Hi,

I activated the trial period of HomeShield Security+, and everything is working fine, I see the green marks in the security tab, and my subscription is active. Aside from that, I want to test if this service is really protecting me, if it is really working. I trust what's stated in the app, but I want to see it in action directly with my eyes.

When I want to test something like this with an traditional Antivirus, I usualy download the Eicar test file. For the HomeShield Security+, I think I should test some sort of dummy fake "dangerous" url, or something like that. I found the Wicar project, but HomeShield doesn't block anything about it (instead my AV yes, it blocks connections when active).

So here I am, asking you, if there is a way to "safely" test this HomeShield feature, to see if it's working the way it's supposed to work or not smiley

Thanks in advice

Options
4 Reply
Re:Testing HomeShield Security+
2023-12-19 09:07:22

@Fraxlin 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

There hasn't been a shared document about how to safely test the Security. I would like to follow up on your case via email and consult the engineers for further suggestions.

Best regards.

Options
2023-12-20 04:21:53

@Fraxlin 

FWIW  I installed the "WiFi Toolkit" app from TP-Link. Amongst checking a variety of other things, there is an "Open Port" checker. When I run this, I get "Port Scanning" alerts/notifications from my XE75Pro. Checking the Security Reports I can see that since installing my XE75 109 days ago, I've had "Web Protection" activate 9 times (naming the malicious web site and device which it was detected on). Have also had  "Intrusion Prevention" detect 4 instances ...although these were (admittedly) me using the Port Scanning function in the WiFi Toolkit. No attacks have been detected under IoT Protection as of yet.

Options
2023-12-20 08:30:01 - last edited 2023-12-20 08:33:15

@Pedro109 Thanks for the answer. I just tried it, did a port scan on the Deco ip gateway (the main Deco) and a port scan on both the ip of my secondary smartphone and my PC, but I didn't get any notification from TP-Link and the Security Report had no trace of this scan. I got a notification from my Bitdefender AV on my PC about a blocked port scan, but nothing else.

Did you do a local port scan (using local ips) or an external port scan on your public ip?

Options
2023-12-20 08:43:48

@Fraxlin 

Initially it was only an internal port scan on my network, however, after your query I just tried an external port scan on my public IP. 
Initial response back was "Target Host Unreachable". About ten seconds later a popup notification came via the TP Link app saying "Port Scanning detected". I'm reading that as a win with the scan blocked but logged.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 613

Replies: 4

Related Articles