Easymesh - wired clients on satellite device not working properly?

2023-12-20 09:32:53 - last edited 2023-12-20 17:38:56
Model: Archer AX12  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer AX12(EU)_V1_1.0.25 Build 20230809

So I bought an AX12 unit yesterday and tried out the Easymesh thing but cannot get it working properly (see my test setup at end of post).

What happens just after rebooting both routers is:

• Computer 2 gets a very slow network connection, network performance is about the same speed as connecting to Main Router over wifi from Computer 2's location, which makes me suspect ethernet backhaul isn't really working. Wifi coverage in this location is very poor (thick concrete walls) which is why I have an access point there.
  •  tplinkwifi.net says I'm not on the same network as the router, the admin page must be accessed using IP address (no big deal)
  • A little while after full system reboot Computer 2 loses network access entirely, I think about 5 minutes or so after the routers have booted up (maybe this is ethernet backhaul kicking in, and the LAN<->WAN interface isn't bridged, only LAN<->WLAN? hmm).

If I disable Easymesh on the main router and setup the satellite router in AP mode everything works great, but then I lose seamless roaming.

Main router is AX12 V1 and satellite/AP is AX10 V1. EU models on latest firmware.

I also have another AX12 instead of the AX10 I can try but I really need the extra LAN port on the AX10.

What I could also test is plug LAN1 on main router into a switch instead, then plug Computer 2 and the satellite router into the switch, but I would like to avoid the added clutter.

Question is if this just doesn't work, i.e. you cannot use the LAN ports on the easymesh satellite in this manner?

b9141d0aa2ef4ae3a2ee5e0c820a4ec3

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Easymesh - wired clients on satellite device not working properly?-Solution
2023-12-20 10:31:50 - last edited 2023-12-20 17:38:56

@jcberg 

AX12 is not on the list of Easymesh ethernet backhaul supported devices (details) and I think you're using a wireless backhaul instead.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Easymesh - wired clients on satellite device not working properly?-Solution
2023-12-20 10:31:50 - last edited 2023-12-20 17:38:56

@jcberg 

AX12 is not on the list of Easymesh ethernet backhaul supported devices (details) and I think you're using a wireless backhaul instead.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Easymesh - wired clients on satellite device not working properly?
2023-12-20 17:38:49 - last edited 2023-12-20 17:40:02

@terziyski Yeah that probably has something to do with it. Thought I saw it in the firmware changelog but apprently not.  I will continue in AP mode for now and hopefully a new firmware will be available in the future. 

Options
2023-12-20 19:00:35

@jcberg 

What can be seen in the AX12 latest FW release is " Improve the EasyMesh function; ".

That doesn't mean an ethernet backhaul is implemented - just keep an eye on the thread I pointed you to check if this feature has been implemented.

Options
2023-12-20 19:14:39

@terziyski Thanks but I'm just gonna return the AX12s and get AX10s instead, I don't know why but the WiFi just performs much better on this model for me.

I wonder if the AX12 I'm testing is broken because the two middle antennas are kinda loose and wobbly, which could explain the poor WiFi performance. Getting like half the throughput and twice the latency vs the AX10. 

Options
2023-12-20 19:19:59

@jcberg 

I haven't tested AX12 wireless coverage myself but replaceing it for AX10 would solve your initial problem at once.

Options