Archer AX1800 product fails to deliver on advertised specifications

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-21 23:56:48 - last edited 2023-12-22 09:53:32
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230725 Rel. 56344(4555)

first I bought an Archer AX1500 to get VPN Client support - but it wasnt there 

then I bought an Archer AX1800 to get it...

as can be seen on the picture link, the archer AX1800 is widely publicized to support VPN Client - except my bought model doesnt support it either

contacted support - even setup said firmware was "up to date" they told me to upgrade according to :  https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax1800/v1.20/#Firmware

updating according to manual consistently said "Upload error"

Open for advice. But I'm used to companies promising more than they can deliver - I'm situated in Europe btw

Options
10 Reply
Re:Archer AX1800 product fails to deliver on advertised specifications
2023-12-22 09:57:57

@productcustomer 

Hi, what is the exact model of the AX1800 router on its bottom label? Is it AX20 or AX23 or AX1800? Can we have a screenshot of the model printed on the device? You can mask the device SN and MAC for security concerns.

Only the listed models on this page support VPN Client:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/wifi-router/?filterby=AND%7C6112

If your model is in the list but you still cannot find the VPN Client setup menu, please go to the product page of your specific model, check and ensure it is with the latest firmware.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-12-22 16:19:16 - last edited 2023-12-22 16:20:28

@Kevin_Z  I have already submitted a picture to the thread - but you have removed it. I will add it again, here it is (again) in the thread :

Sir, I as you clearly can see the model is completely the same at the top - but menu is different. Also I have to disagree with the list submitted, that only those routers are advertised as supporting Client VPN. If you check specs advertised,not * just * at your link, you will see AX1800 advertised as well.

Doesnt solve my problem at all. But thanks for answering.

Options
2023-12-25 20:37:20 - last edited 2023-12-26 01:30:33

@productcustomer 

No answers above here really helped me. Didn't even help to figure out what was going on. But I will now submit a followup to help others in the future.

Basically there is one and only one package - but different contents.

Also two specifications  - and the first reference REFERS TO AN ARCHER AX1800 SUPPORTING VPN Client

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/?filterby=AND|6112

https://www.tp-link.com/dk/home-networking/wifi-router/?filterby=AND|6112

The package headline says AX1800 

But really, it's not an AX1800 at all.. It's all kinds of model variants - where some support VPN Client and some not.

When you start up the router, sure, the setup only says AX1800

Just like mine. So it's basically impossible to from other peoples screenshot to determine what model they are really talking about.

Kevins link of positive-VPN-Client and unsupported-VPN-client routers above suggested Archer AX1800 AX20 without VPN Client - but that's simply not the one actually sold to me:

AX1800 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router 5

Mine - does NOT say AX20 or AX23:

So... the end story.... Kevins list does not apply to my choice of router at all according to specifications listed on package.

I bought an Archer AX1800 in legitimate belief that it was a router supporting VPN Client (discussed many places elsewhere with VPN Client and listed at the US website as actually supporting VPN Client).

The truth is... my router has no VPN Client support. An nowhere was this made clear.

So... I stand by my original statement - it doesn't hold up to specifications. The sad truth is, you cant figure it out unless in a shop which allows customers to break all the sealing shrinkwrap and open all their packages to see what's inside. What kind of shop allows that? tp-link knows that naturally...

Sir, I bought a dud. I was fooled!

Let this be a warning to others!

Options
2023-12-25 20:39:52 - last edited 2023-12-25 21:53:19
Options
2023-12-27 02:27:27

Hello @productcustomer 

Sorry for the late reply.

As per your description and the package picture you provided, it seems your actual model is Archer AX1800, not AX20 or AX21.

According to the VPN Client product list, Archer AX1800 doesn't support VPN Client.

Can you please tell me where are you based? Are you in Denmark? Did you purchase this router from the local store? I cannot find this Archer AX1800 on the local website, can you tell us where did you purchase it?

https://www.tp-link.com/dk/

I will try to confirm if this specific model supports VPN Client.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-12-28 16:40:33 - last edited 2023-12-28 16:42:18

elgiganten 

purchased and picked up in person from above address (shopping mall) on 18/12

Remember, I'm not the seller here, so I have no idea where it has been decided - and where not - to publish data.

I never suspected that an Archer AX1800 was... not really an Archer AX1800... I remember clearly seeing pictures of router-login-setup saying "AX1800" and "VPN Client" beneath. Didnt say 20 23 or something else. And I bought an AX1800....

The router name specification in the login-setup is misguiding to say the least...

I need a VPN Client router... and for this month, it probably will not be a tp-link again for the third time...  

@Kevin_Z 

Options
2023-12-28 20:12:37 - last edited 2023-12-30 12:12:31

@productcustomer 

There are several router models which are AX1800 branded like: AX20, AX21, AX23 and AX1800.

It's difficult to determine the exact router model from its retail package - check this thread for more details on that matter as an example.

To know which of your local market router models have "VPN client" implemented you should open the link here.

AX1800 branding defines the wireless standard (AX for Wi-Fi 6) and wireless speed (1201+574) in Mbps, not the actual device model, which is printed on its bottom sticker.

These are screenshots from the retail packages of AX20 and AX1800:

AX20 (router model is on the dark blue background)

AX1800 (router model on the dark blue background):

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-12-28 21:39:24

@terziyski 

Please, in regard to "check this thread for more details on that matte" then my problem is really not : "Its a Archer BE9300 or is it a Archer BE550"... 

I'm saying that... there is same "Archer AX1800" on multiple packages and a "Kinder surprise" inside. To put it simple.

Thanks for "To know which of your local market router models have "VPN client" implemented you should open the link here." but also notice, you cant give a direct link yourself, so please understand that I cant either. It is not there. It is not bought in a weird mail-order-deal - it's bought from a walk-in at a major store. Look at the photographs.

Thanks a lot for comments. I still see no challenge to my original statements that a straight AX1800 with no other marking should have this setup - and when it doesnt - well, then it doesnt come as you should rightfully expect.

But I "getting over it" at this point now... Just buying from another brand.... You simply cant trust Archer AX1800 or whatever is written.

Leaving tp-link behind in my life...

Just warning others.

Options
2023-12-28 22:43:22 - last edited 2023-12-29 01:57:24

@productcustomer 

The thread I mentioned is just an example of how the devices are branded by TP-Link - of course it's not about AX1800 in particular, but the principle is just the same.

I'm just trying to help you and I also think this information would be helpful for others to get to know what this branding means and not getting confused when choosing a router.

The link I posted is a dynamic link and when you open that in your browser it would use a geo-location to point your regional TP-Link website and show the VPN client implemented routers. Sometimes website admin can miss to update a particular regional website, but for European countries you can always refer to the global english website - here.

Regarding your particular issue:

It's pretty normal to get confused from the branding described above, so you probably can return the device to the retailer as not meeting your expectations and replace with AX20 or AX21 depending on your region (they both have a VPN Client implemented).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-12-29 00:03:46

@terziyski 

Yes, I got a (summarized) "well, that's really sad for you" from tp-link support. They refered me to an UK website for EU models, and I mentioned a slight detail... that the UK is really not an EU member anymore. Well, then they went offline permanently... Well, admitting, it's holiday season.

Please. the "dynamic link" directs to Denmark - yes, I agree - where is listed the "AX20" and "AX23" - yes, I see them - under VPN-client-unsupported products. But not the model i bought... "Not" as in... not there. I bought a pure "Archer AX1800". Nothing. Zero. Nil. Nada. Niente. Nope. As in... not listed. Mine is not a "AX20" or "AX23". You dont live in Denmark, so you give link and says "it's there". But its not. Not under supported or unsupported. I respect attempt to help - but facts are facts.

Please, I'm not confusing a "20", "21", "22" for a "23" etc. Look at the package picture,,,, "Archer AX1800" is stated twice on the package. That's it. Then how am I to know what "Kinder Egg" is inside - except what I can find documented in the router setup available? Product is traded through large-scale retailers. So there is no excuse for not listing it on national website. And setup says AX1800 allright - as expected - except doesnt come with expected functionality.

People should be really, really carefull when buying this model. I thought I did my homework, to maximum extent possible.

And... if you buy it anyway... dont expect real help to be found anywhere!

Merry christmas - and all the best for next year!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1062

Replies: 10

Related Articles