Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E

Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E

22 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E
2024-07-19 14:43:07

Pelle_07 wrote

@9ux 

That's just the point, nobody knows.
So beware of Chinese unmarked cars driving around.... TP-Link defenitly have or can atleast gain access to the passwords, or atleast need to prove that they can't. :-)

This discussion is not really useful and not accurate.

The bug here is that the backhaul SSID is not hedden and not that it exists.

A WiFi sniffer can still find it when it's hidden so not hidding it make little or no difference?

And it isn't TP-Link's responsibility to fix it'st Qualcomm becuase they are the hardware board manufacturer and provide the SDK.

The Netgear RBE97x series Wifi 7 kits have the same bug and they are Qualcomm hardware too, the same model series in fact.

The password might be obtainable by the TP-Link firmware maintainers, so what, the SSID is for communication between the router and it's satelites. I'm not sure of the details but these backhaul SSIDs tesnd to have strong, failrly long passwords so there's less chance these will be the point of vulnerability of the router than the devices themselves and the user SSIDs with passwords set by them.

Options
Re:Deco XE75 unknown SSID from wifi 6E
2024-07-19 21:08:18

@raven-au 

Thank you, point taken you are so correct, this might be the wrong place, but on the other hand, this is a technical issue that need a tecknical solution.

I currently use Ethernet for backhaul on my BE85s, and I’m puzzled by the presence of the backhaul network even when I’m using a cable.

Admittedly, I didn’t research the devices thoroughly before purchasing them, and this situation concerns me.

I acknowledge that I still have much to learn in this field, and I may be mistaken. However, the fundamental question remains: How can we gain control over the networks in our own environment?

The persistence of the existing bug is disappointing, and I cant solve it,  My approach must then be to discuss the issue, hoping that those who can solve this proplem can get the necessary resources to find a solution.

From a security perspective, I firmly believe that TP-Link bears sole responsibility for their design choices and implementation. Nevertheless, I remain uneasy about a network I can’t fully control. I want to manage my secrets independently.

Regarding David-TP’s statement:

• ‘Even though This SSID is visible, It is encrypted by default and the security could be guaranteed.’

While this provides some reassurance, I’d prefer the ability to set and manage this password myself. It should be a password I fully understand and agree with. Ownership matters to me. I want to own my secrets.

The handling of passwords and determining who has access to them remains purely speculative.

Is there a way to disable the backhaul Wi-Fi network temporarily while we await a better solution?

I hope my questions resonate with others, as I consider them crucial.

/Pelle

Options