Internet slow and drops off - powerline connection / Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Internet slow and drops off - powerline connection / Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:Internet slow and drops off - powerline connection / Deco
2023-12-31 15:43:56 - last edited 2023-12-31 15:44:51

@Strat640 

Glad to hear you found culprit for issues with your home network. Meanwhile, we have optimized your network layout.

This is the first for me to see no signal status for Deco, which in your case is Movie Room E4S. It is somehow connected to Deco mesh, because it reports 3 devices connected to it, but how?

To maybe figure that, open info page for Movie Room Deco in Deco app, make screenshot of it and share here. I am interested in the top part of that screen, example:

You network layout looks perfect, I have no more recommendations for it.

Also, when I google I can't seem to find Deco E4S, only E4R appears in search results. It does exist, your Deco app screenshot is a proof of it, but where did you get it from and do you have TP-Link URL for E4S Support: specs and firmware?

What's left is to try Deco unit in the shed. I suggest for initial test connect it directly to powerline adapter, not through the switch. If powerline adapter supports TP-Link Deco backhaul protocol, you'll see that unit reporting it connects over Ethernet. 

If powerline adapters do not support TP-Link Ethernet backhaul, you may need to replace them to have Deco unit in your shed. If it comes to this, I'll give you recommendations which TP-Link powerline adapters to choose from.

Options
2023-12-31 18:27:19

@Alexandre. 

No idea about E4R/S...I got them as a set if memory serves...

Will try with Office maybe Tuesday and get backs to ye with results, thanks again

The firmware is as per the screen shot:

That's about all I have! 

Also attached is the screen shot as requested:

Options
2023-12-31 21:18:03 - last edited 2023-12-31 21:40:10

@Strat640 

This E4S, it really does not want to tell how it is connected. I suspect it uses Ethernet, it should. In any case, it is functioning, has clients connected to it. You can ignore that issue with not knowing how it connects to the rest of Deco mesh, but if it does bother you much - create separate forum post about E4S, share relevant screenshots and see if TP-Link Support will notice it. They are the only ones that can help with this.

You can also run the following test, if you have time for that: delete E4S from Deco mesh in Deco app and see if you can now have "Show Map" in Deco app. I suspect you will.

This is totally optional for me, if you don't want to waste time for that you don't have to. 

By the way, I told you that you have optimal network layout, but just thought about something else. Powerline adapters, especially older ones with AV600 specs, do not provide fast speeds. If your could get 100Mbps from such powerline adapter, that is already good result. Because of that, you can make M4R (from the Office) your Movie Room Deco and have E4S as your Office Deco. E4S has 100Mbps Ethernet ports and won't benefit from connecting to gigabit switch.

One day, when you upgrade Internet link speed to over 100Mbps, you'll see the difference for M4Rs connected to switches at your house.

Your new network layout will be as following:

Options
2024-01-01 22:54:52
Evening! Yep i was considering the PLC unit as a possible choke point alright. I will be hosting MS teams meetings etc in my Shed so i would be very appreciative of any suggestions you could recommend to give me the best 'Network Solution' possible for the Shed / Office setup. If there is a better PLC unit that can do what i need with the DECO units instead of a Netgear router please do suggest. I will try what i have tomorrow hopefully and post back once tested. Thanks again for all the assistance
Options
2024-01-02 00:37:21

@Strat640 

There is TP-Link AV600 powerline adapter on your network diagram. It should be compatible with Deco mesh, so try with it first. I have ZyXel AV600 powerline adapters, in my tests with them I've got speed of about 100Mbps when connecting Deco M5 to them.

Considering your Internet speed is under 100Mbps, AV600 may just be OK.

In case you want to replace powerline adapters with faster model, I would suggest either TP-Link AV1000 (TL-PA7017 KIT) or similar kit with pass-through power socket TP-Link AV1000 (TL-PA7017P KIT). 

Speed improvement should not be dramatic comparing with AV600, but if you subscribe for faster Internet in the future then you should try newer set.

There is also even faster TP-Link AV2000 (TL-PA9020P KIT), but it'll only give you improvement in speed if you have very good electric wiring with little noise in it. 

In general, older version of powerline adapters (AV600) will give you slower speed but more reliable link, newer AV1000 and AV2000 may deliver faster speeds but with risk of interruptions.

Options
Related Articles