Deco S7 - Issues with selecting nearby device and future firmware plans?

2024-01-03 19:13:07 - last edited 2024-01-03 19:14:25
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 Build 20230406 Rel. 830

Hi.

I recently purchased a 3-pack of Deco S7 v1.0 and configured it in Wi-Fi Router mode to replace my previous router, aiming for a seamless mesh network experience at home. However, I've noticed that the Deco S7 seems to lack certain functionalities and feels a bit "unfinished."

I encountered an issue where the LED on all Deco devices was blinking red, even though they were online. After some troubleshooting and searching, I found a beta firmware fix that solved this problem.

Now, I am facing an issue with my Tapo C220 cameras connecting to Deco devices that are not the closest. It seems they connect to random devices rather than selecting the nearest one. This issue extends to other IoT devices, leading me to question whether the problem lies with the Deco devices rather than the connected devices themselves. I've found similar posts from other users discussing and requesting a function to select which Deco each device can use. It's my understanding that this feature is already available on some TP-Link solutions, and a TP-Link representative mentioned that additional functionalities, including this one, would be introduced in the future for Deco S7.

I'm curious to know when the Deco S7 will receive updates with additional features, and if there are plans to allow configurations through a web UI. Additionally, are there any new beta firmware versions beyond 1.4.1 Build 20230406 Rel. 830? I've noticed several discussions on these topics over the last few years. I love the concept of Deco, but we really need more functionality, especially when it's set in Wi-Fi Router mode.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco S7 - Issues with selecting nearby device and future firmware plans?
2024-04-30 11:05:40

Hi. Is there any update on this issue. When will S7 receive a new firmware upgrade? Right now it's lacking the essential feature "connection preference" which is already introduced to several other older series. It has been more than 4 years since people reported the need of this. Why is it taking this long for S7 to receive such a vital upgrade?

Simply put, the lack of this feature is making your product useless! My devices connect to the Deco in the other room while it has a Deco 30 cms away from it!

How can you let this issue slip for years and years without a fix and you won't give it priority? Can you imagine how many people considering to buy TP Link Mesh products read these issues and complaints and change their mind? It's just unbelievable.

Options
2024-05-19 23:32:45

@yunusual Same thing happened to me, I bought a 3 unit set one month ago because I wanted to finish my connectivity problems in the house once and for all, but like the other person in the post said, the product seems to be unfinished. I have also another problem with IP reservation, which also seem well known but unresolved. Anyway, hope we get the firmware updates soon…

Options
2024-05-21 07:56:32

I ended up returning the product due to the issues and lack of updates. The store I bought it from said they had similar returns for lots of Deco devices.

One thing I don't understand.. why do they keep releasing new models before fixing the issues on the old ones? They try make it fancy with the app, but in the end the functionality is terrible.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Mart1n I have the same problem but the strange thing is, when i use VPN it's working perfekt. It must be a software failure in the firmware and They should fix it as soon as possible.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Mart1n     @Cebotana     The 1.5.0 firmware update for S7 is out for more than a month now:     

Deco S7 1.5.0 Supports Connection Preference, IOT Network, WPA3 and More

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2 weeks ago

@yunusual Check out the comment above

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options

Information

Helpful: 16

Views: 576

Replies: 6

Related Articles