Deco XE75 Connection issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-09 17:41:21
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently switched to Shaw/Rogers for home internet with their Ignite modem/router gen 2 system.

I firstly bridged the modem whcih disables the router function on the device. The first Deco router is connected directly to the modem, and a second ethernet cable is connected to a switch which all my other ethernect cables connect to including the second Deco router. The setup work fine, and the app show exactly how I wanted.

My problem is that sometims I lost internet access even though the modem is showing connected and working perfectly fine with white led light on the unit. All 2 routers are showing red light and I do not have internet access. Re-powering the router seem work to get them back online. All setting are default in the tplink app, I only turned on the ipv6. It seems ridiculous that if the Deco routers require a reboot every couple of days to keep it online.

Contacted Shaw for support, they can not do anything as the modem is working constantly fine, but they suggested to leave the modem in the regular mode (with the router function on). I do not like to have 2 routers with 2 Wifi network in my home, so I figured maybe see if anyone else is having the same issure with Shaw/rogers and Deco combination.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 Connection issue
2024-01-09 21:41:16 - last edited 2024-01-09 21:42:47

@Wsdesmond 

I am with Rogers, using their new Ignite modem/router together with Deco mesh. My Deco mesh is stable and does not lose Internet connection (unless it is confirmed Rogers outage like one we had last week when they had DNS issues).

My setup is as follows:

1. Ignite modem/router in its default gateway mode.

2. Ignite WiFi turned off. I don't think you can do that through Ignite HomeConnect app on smartphone. You need to login to Ignite modem/router Web interface to turn WiFi off.

3. Deco mesh runs in Access Point mode. Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

4. My main gigabit switch, to which all my household Ethernet cables are connected, is connected directly to Ignite modem/router. Not through Main Deco.

This is an approximation of network layout I have:

You can do that with Deco in AP mode.

The benefits of such setup:

1. If Deco mesh experiences failure, wired network keeps running;

2. All four Ethernet ports of Ignite modem/router can be used and will be on the same LAN as Deco WiFi connected devices. For example, I have NAS connected directly to Ignite modem/router, accessible from everywhere on my wired and WiFi network;

3. I also have one of Satellite Deco units wired directly to Ignite modem/router. In your case, if Main Deco is close to Ignite modem/router, I would suggest hardwiring Main Deco directly to it and networking switch to different Ethernet port of Ignite modem/router;

4. It is much easier to find who is at fault when outage happens: Deco mesh or Ignite modem/router (i.e., ISP). As long as you have at least one wired PC/laptop/Smart TV, etc. - finding if wired network is up/down when Deco mesh LED goes red will be quite easy.

Options
2024-01-09 23:48:26

@Alexandre. 

Thank you very much for your comment.

I guess what you are saying is to use the Ignite as a modem and router combo unit, and only turn off the WiFi function. Both Deco that I have then should be setup in AP mode. This was also suggested by Shaw as well, I will definitely give it a try.

I then wonder what is the difference between the router and AP mode on these Deco's. Am I losing certain features by setting Deco in AP mode? 

Options
2024-01-10 00:35:30

@Wsdesmond 

You ask the right question. Yes, you will be losing some of Deco mesh features when it is switched to Access Point mode. Here is the list: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

In return, you'll get better Deco mesh performance and stability.

It is also important that you remove Main Deco from between Ignite router and networking switch. Running Deco mesh in AP mode is step that is necessary to make this change to your network layout. 

You can undo all changes after problem is rectified, if you miss any of these features.

Options