OpenVPN clients and remote lan resolution
OpenVPN clients and remote lan resolution
2024-01-13 18:36:30
Tags: #VPN #dns
Model: Archer C5  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.16.0 0.9.1

Hi! first of all, thanks for reading.

I've configured OpenVPN server on my Archer C5, almost everything is working, i have remote clients which can connect BUT dns resolution for other equipments in the LAN (i mean the remote lan, let's call it the office where the Archer is working). I can ping those hosts by ip through vpn, but it's impossible to do it by hostname.. i've tried configuring "dhcp-options dns" in the client with the default gw/dns for the office (192.168.0.1) also tried with the main vpn internal first ip (10.8.0.1) but couldn't make it work.

Is this normal or am i doing something wrong? 

Which mechanism is using Tplink Archer (and others home routers) to do internal resolve? Local dns cache? Netbios?

Why openvpn clients cannot obtain hostnames from the Archer? 

Thanks in advance!

Options
4 Reply
Re:OpenVPN clients and remote lan resolution
2024-01-23 21:39:53

Nobody?

Options
2024-01-24 00:45:13

@tshk 

This probably won't work as you expected. Your router model is with a customized FW for ISPs and there's no way to obtain an updated version unless your ISP provide it for you.

Here are similar threads on that matter which you could check for any alternatives (here and here).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-24 21:06:50

@terziyski Sorry, i don't get it. What does the firewall have to do with this problem? It's filtering port 53? It seems strange..

I don't get why the openvpn clients doesn't get the option to use the router's dns if it's a client.. i know it's another subnet, but it could work with the primary ip of the vpn server 10.x.x.1 also, like it does with the gateway.

Thanks!

Options
2024-01-24 21:47:41

@tshk 

Check this thread for more details on this behavior.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 187

Replies: 4

Tags

VPN
dns
Related Articles