3x Deco in Access Point mode, constant red light, connection is fine

2024-01-19 14:24:23 - last edited 2024-01-19 14:45:30
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.5 Buld 20231128 Rel. 64440

I have a 3x setup of Deco AC1900 (S1900) configured in access point mode, with each Deco getting an IPv4 from my router (reservations set for each Deco unit, so their IPv4 address is persistent). Running the latest firmware (actually upgraded just 2 days ago, but the problem was occurring with the previous firmware too), have excellent range between the 3 units (Deco app shows 2 out of 3 signal bars on the connection strength between the main Deco and its 2 peers, would love to see how this is refleced in a web GUI byt TP Link is not interedted in building that, so it seems).

So my problem is this: ever so often my main Deco will exhibit a persistent red light and the child Decos a blinking red light. The Deco app shows no alerts and the ever-present and vague "Everything looks good" indication" is there too. Network is apparently working okay (no client has disconneced from wifi and internet connectivity is proven to be working).

What is causing this? What sort of advanced logging can I pull from these devices that can tell me what's wrong?

Options
10 Reply
Re:3x Deco in Access Point mode, constant red light, connection is fine
2024-01-22 07:35:57

@dmmm05 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Have you set up any firewall or access control settings on the main ISP router? or would there be any third-party firewall programs in the LAN network?

It seems like the online detection of Deco S7 has been blocked by the ISP router.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-01-22 10:17:16

@David-TP 

Hi,

nothing is blocked and there's no firewall. It's quite the "dumb" setup really, all 3 Decos are network clients like any other device, although with fixed ipv4 leases, and they just go through the router as gateway.

If this is what you suspect, then what is the deco's process of validating internet access?

- name resolution attempt?

- wget on a specific addrees?

- actual validation against a web site via an API?

Options
2024-02-04 10:37:06

@David-TP hello???

Options
2024-02-08 08:13:18

@TP-Link , HELLO!!!??? Where is your support??

Options
2024-02-08 08:59:07

@dmmm05 

AFAIK the online detection has been done via a name resolution.

You can set a public DNS on your router (like 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8) and observe the Deco behavior.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-08 09:09:37

@terziyski 

Thanks terziyski. I don't believe it's a DNS problem, my ISP's DNS are way way closer to me (hop-wise) than either 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 (or their IPv6 equivalents). What debugging information can I pull from the Deco in order to understand and validate if this is really a DNS problem? I don't want to start making changes to a working network before seeing proof that DNS is indeed the problem (and I believe this is a reasonable thought process).

Options
2024-02-08 09:43:05

@dmmm05 

The problem is that you can't pull any additional debugging information from Deco.

You can check this post related to Deco online status detection.

Apart from that changing your main router's DNSs is not a significant change that you should be concerned about.

I am not sure that DNS change would fix your issue, but at least you can try that and check if there's an improvement.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-08 10:59:45
Login in the deco with browser, there's system logs, though I'm not fit to read only the TP-link engineers can decipher the logs.
Options
2024-02-20 19:20:22

@TP-Link @Support 

need some (oficial) answers here, have an issue with the product and so far struggling to get an official response or resolution. I'm tech savvy enough to go through troubleshooting, so please, support me at the correct level (if you are going to tell me to try to change my DNS, give me a way to prove that as the root cause)

Options
3 weeks ago

Awesome support guys, we're 4 months into me reporting this issue and so far no official response... CAN ANYONE FROM TP LINK COMMENT HERE?!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 320

Replies: 10

Related Articles