XE75Pro top Ethernet port does not work.

2024-01-28 19:51:46 - last edited 2024-01-31 05:44:11
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4

The top Ethernet port will not forward traffic. At all. It will light up a switch, showing link and some activity, but no traffic will flow. Any other Deco backhauled to that top port will lose connectivity with the main unit, wired or wireless. If one plugs a second Deco into that top port, it disappears (goes 'offline'), even when it is sitting on a bench next to the main unit. The second unit will start flashing red 5-20 seconds after the Ethernet is plugged in. This is all on a benchtop, no switches, and I am using the cables that were sent with the Decos.

This seems to apply to both XE75 Pros that I have, and maybe the plain XE75 that is my third unit.

I am a retired network engineer, so I am not just "doing it wrong". I have had the decos for 6 months or so, and after renovating the house changed the configuration so I could do wired backhauls and that is when I discovered this.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:XE75Pro top Ethernet port does not work. -Solution
2024-01-31 05:35:06 - last edited 2024-01-31 05:44:11

@Ib1netmon 

OK, figgered it out. Top port on one of the XE75 Pro units is whacked, to use the technical term.

It puts up link on the ethernet connection, but traffic isn't passing, possibly only in one direction.

I am just going to make that unit my most peripheral one (so I won't need that port), glue a Mod8 connector into that port in case I forget in the future, and call it a day.

Bye, all.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:XE75Pro top Ethernet port does not work.
2024-01-29 07:33:45

@Ib1netmon 

Hi, Are you able to create the Ethernet Backhaul via another Ethernet port from the main Deco XE75 Pro?

Please also go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPTV/VLNA and make sure the IPTV VLAN is disabled.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-01-30 05:50:48

@David-TP 

Hi,  David.

Yes, the wired backhaul works fine on the other two ports on all three units. I have it all working fine using a switch instead of the third port on the main unit, and of course staying away from the third ports on the satellite units.

Confirming IPTV is off. 

In testing, I reset all 3 units (more than once), so everything except the DHCP settings are at their defaults. 

I have yet to see if that top port will pass traffic to a client as opposed to another Deco. I'll probably try that next just for fun.

West

Options
2024-01-30 07:00:01

@Ib1netmon Hi, thanks for the update. 

I do hope you could connect a laptop to test the top port as well.After that, please also refer to this link to register for warranty service here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/#Warranty-Support

Best regards.

Options
2024-01-30 10:07:43

@David-TP 

After getting a stable configuration, I did more testing. The XE75 is working fine, using the third (top) port for either a client OR backhaul.

BUT if I move the backhaul link on my main XE75 Pro unit from either of the bottom two ports (1-2.5 gig and 1-1 gig) and plug it into the top port, the satellite on that backhaul link will go down.When both satellites are hooked up through my small switch, moving the connection to the third (top) port on the main unit will make both satellites to go offline. 

The 75 pro that I am using as a satellite also goes offline if I move the connection to its top port.

The top port on the main XE75 Pro also does not work as the uplink to my modem, tried that too.

All this recovers in about a minute if I replug the cable (backhaul OR uplink) into either of the bottom two ports on the XE75 pros.

P.S. Registered two of my three units.

Options
2024-01-30 21:22:53

@Ib1netmon I am zeroing in on the issue, looks like it is just one of the XE70 Pro units having a problem on that 3rd port. Naturally, it was the one that I chose to use as my main unit.

Options
Re:XE75Pro top Ethernet port does not work. -Solution
2024-01-31 05:35:06 - last edited 2024-01-31 05:44:11

@Ib1netmon 

OK, figgered it out. Top port on one of the XE75 Pro units is whacked, to use the technical term.

It puts up link on the ethernet connection, but traffic isn't passing, possibly only in one direction.

I am just going to make that unit my most peripheral one (so I won't need that port), glue a Mod8 connector into that port in case I forget in the future, and call it a day.

Bye, all.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-10 09:56:15

@Ib1netmon 
I had the same issue with one of the units of my duo pack.

Luckily I was still under warranty, and they switched it with 2 new units.

Options
2024-03-11 15:05:32

@Ib1netmon 

I have the 3 pack of the XE75 non pro, and 2 of my units have issues with the top port 1 of them also with the middle port, 1 of them is free of issues. 

I think the hardware is poor to be honest.  The issue first appeared on my main unit that port was in use by the xbox which one day would not connect at all, figured out the port was faulty and so swapped one of the sattelites to become the new main, that one also developped a fault on the port connected to the xbox after a couple on months.  

I decided to buy a cheap switch at that point for the xbox as I could have sent the units back to amazon, but they could not send a replacement I would have to buy a new device and then get a refund on the faulty one which I couldnt be bothered with.  Amazon did give me a £100 rebait though to keep the faulty device. 

I was planning on getting a wifi 7 deco in the future but this has left me a bit more cautious. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 291

Replies: 8

Related Articles