Persistent Connectivity Issues with Deco M9 System - Abnormal WAN port Speed - PLEASE FIX FIRMWARE

Persistent Connectivity Issues with Deco M9 System - Abnormal WAN port Speed - PLEASE FIX FIRMWARE

2024-01-30 09:44:19 - last edited 2024-01-30 14:09:52
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.2 Build 20230906 Rel. 80158

Hello,

I am reaching out regarding persistent issues I have been experiencing with my Deco M9 mesh system for the past month, and I am seeking assistance in resolving these issues.

My setup consists of four units, with one functioning as the router and the remaining three in AP mode (all CAT6 ethernet backhaul connected). I have ensured that I am using the latest firmware available.

The primary concern is the intermittent loss of connection, requiring multiple resets to restore functionality. Despite confirming that my Internet Service Provider is functioning correctly and the connection is stable, it appears the Deco system is the source of the problem.

Upon reviewing the Deco app, it consistently indicates that everything is normal, yet it reports an 'abnormal WAN port speed.' Additionally, the speed seems to be capped at approximately 93-94Mbps, significantly below the 500Mbps provided by my ISP. It's important to note that there have been no recent changes or additions to the cables in my home; all are new and CAT 6.

I have noticed similar issues reported by other users with the latest firmware, but unfortunately, no concrete solutions have been provided. It would be beneficial if there were an option to roll back to a previous firmware version, but as of now, this seems unattainable or undisclosed.

Performing a full reset is a daunting task for me due to the extensive number of connected devices, including my solar panel system. I am hesitant to go through the process of reconnecting all devices unless absolutely necessary.

Given the prevalence of this issue in discussions spanning several months, I am eager for a prompt resolution. If a quick solution or guidance on resolving this matter could be provided, it would be greatly appreciated.

I value the functionality of my Deco M9 system and hope to continue relying on it. However, if a resolution is not found soon, I may need to consider exploring alternative options from different brands for my future IT needs.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Best regards,

Cappu

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Persistent Connectivity Issues with Deco M9 System - Abnormal WAN port Speed - PLEASE FIX FIRMWARE-Solution
2024-01-30 12:51:06 - last edited 2024-01-30 14:09:52

@Cappuccino 

Your situation seem to be the following:

1. Main Deco reports it can't establish gigabit speed over its WAN link to ISP modem, which is the meaning of "Abnormal WAN port speed" alert in Deco app;

2. You confirm this by running speed test that shows speeds under 100Mbps. Which means, Main Deco is connected to ISP modem by 100Mbps link.

You can run Test Internet Speed from Deco app, which measures speed of wired link between Main Deco and ISP modem. If it reports speeds under 100Mbps, that will provide additional confirmation that gigabit link between Main Deco and ISP modem can't be established.

I had that once with my Main Deco M9 Plus, and in my case the fix was simple: I unplugged Ethernet cable from Main Deco WAN port and plugged it back tightly. It was slightly loose before.

If that does not help, you should also unplug another side of that Ethernet cable from ISP router and plug it back.

If that does not help either, you may need to replace Ethernet cable between Main Deco and ISP modem.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Persistent Connectivity Issues with Deco M9 System - Abnormal WAN port Speed - PLEASE FIX FIRMWARE-Solution
2024-01-30 12:51:06 - last edited 2024-01-30 14:09:52

@Cappuccino 

Your situation seem to be the following:

1. Main Deco reports it can't establish gigabit speed over its WAN link to ISP modem, which is the meaning of "Abnormal WAN port speed" alert in Deco app;

2. You confirm this by running speed test that shows speeds under 100Mbps. Which means, Main Deco is connected to ISP modem by 100Mbps link.

You can run Test Internet Speed from Deco app, which measures speed of wired link between Main Deco and ISP modem. If it reports speeds under 100Mbps, that will provide additional confirmation that gigabit link between Main Deco and ISP modem can't be established.

I had that once with my Main Deco M9 Plus, and in my case the fix was simple: I unplugged Ethernet cable from Main Deco WAN port and plugged it back tightly. It was slightly loose before.

If that does not help, you should also unplug another side of that Ethernet cable from ISP router and plug it back.

If that does not help either, you may need to replace Ethernet cable between Main Deco and ISP modem.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Persistent Connectivity Issues with Deco M9 System - Abnormal WAN port Speed - PLEASE FIX FIRMWARE
2024-01-30 14:09:46
Hey Alexandre, I already tried unplugging but didn't work. I tried again today and swapped the cables from the main deco m9 (acting as router) and it worked (for now) :-) WAN report is gone + speeds are back to normal (500Mbps). Hoping that everything will stay ok. To be sure, i'm going to swap the 100% copper UTP cat6 cables with S/FTP 100% copper ones. These are double protected, which seems like a good thing considering all the wifi signals coming from the closet that 1st main deco is in. Thanks for the quick response + help! Regards, Cappu
Options
Re:Persistent Connectivity Issues with Deco M9 System - Abnormal WAN port Speed - PLEASE FIX FIRMWARE
2024-01-30 16:03:39

@Cappuccino Hi Cappu, I share your frustration with the Deco M9 issues. I've had similar connectivity problems with the WAN port speed and intermittent loss. Hope the support team addresses this soon and provides a stable  bloggersman solution. Considering alternatives might be a last resort, but let's hope for a quick fix!

Options