Deco M4 v2 - When is connection Preference coming???

2024-02-20 14:31:18
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.8 Build 20230619 Rel. 48552

I currently reside in the United Kingdom. I have x4 Deco M4 v2.

Can anyone advise when connection preference is coming? Because I have all my extra units connection to the main base unit, which is not idea for wifi coverage!

Ground Floor

= Main Base Unit

First Floor

= Bedroom 1 - furthest distance form Main Base unit

= Bedroom 2 - closest to Main Base Unit

Attic

= Another deco, the furtrhest away from livng room!

All the decos connect to the Main Base unit! This is not ideal!, see the diagram below!

Because of this, the Attic and Bedroom1 Units have a weak signal because they are connected to the Main Base unit in the Living room.

- Ideally I want Bedroom 1 and Attic to connect to Bedroom 2 as this is the strongest connection to them and closest!

I have performed factory resets!!!

- I have then paired Attic and Bedroom1 to bedroom 1 to (in the same room) - then moved them to the designated rooms, to which they connect to the living room

I have also performed reboots on bedroom 1 and attic, however they just connect back to living room!

===========

From what I read on the internet Connection Preference has been coming out for over 2 years! this is getting beyond a joke.

- So can anyone actually give some ideas as I know M4 V4+ have the option for connection preference,

- It is disgusting to know I have paid hundereds for my setup, to find out you can buy 6v of Deco M4? and sw updates are prioritised for the newer versions

I need help!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M4 v2 - When is connection Preference coming???
2024-02-20 17:07:08
Options
2024-02-20 20:18:04

@Alexandre. 

After reading the comments - NO THANKS

- But thanks for the info

Options
2024-02-20 21:38:16 - last edited 2024-02-20 21:39:09

@AngryAsianGuy 

Yes, TP-Link offers beta firmware, so the question is how badly you need this feature. Note that most people visiting this forum come with issues, very few will come back and say "I installed beta firmware, everything is fine." Stats are skewed.

------------------------

If you can connect Satellites with Ethernet cable, for example bedroom 1 to bedroom 2, that could solve the issue.

Also, if you have coaxial (TV) cable going through your house, especially if no longer in use, it could be possible to use it for Ethernet connection. If this is the case, let me know and I'll share more details.

Other than that, not much you can do. There is also an option to use powerline adapters, but your results may vary. At my house, when I tested powerline adapters with Deco, I couldn't get more than 100Mbps from them. In comparison, ethernet and coaxial cable can consistently deliver gigabit.

If you still want to try these, for example just for the attic, I can give you recommendations.

Options
2024-02-23 05:12:46

@AngryAsianGuy Undoubtedly it's a much-needed feature.

However, posting this thread after the announcement of beta firmware supporting the feature, and then saying "no thanks" after reading the comments isn't gonna get you anywhere.

It's a "beta" firmware, so obviously there's gonna be issues.

"Software updates are prioritized for the newer versions" are not exactly true. M4 came after M5, but M5 got connection preference & many other useful features way too early.

Hardware versions are definitely a factor though.

Also, connection preference has been rolling out to Deco models only since last year afaik

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 283

Replies: 4

Related Articles