Extender not being picked up by Roku suddenly after update

2024-02-20 16:30:09
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.23 Build 230418 Rel.60395n

I updated my wifi extender the other day and suddenly My roku stick will not connect to it? I've tried reseting the extender but it's not helping? everything else seems to be connecting to the wifi fine and I've tried to change settings on my roku stick but nothing has changed. I have looked online and it said something about issues with BGN but on the TP tether app it doesn't have any way to change this?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extender not being picked up by Roku suddenly after update
2024-02-20 20:52:12 - last edited 2024-02-20 20:53:45

@gehext 

Hi,

Do you remember what the version number of the firmware was before the update?

According to TP-Link's website two of the changes that were made in recent firmware versions are the addition of "EasyMesh" and "WPA3".

You could test whether it makes any difference if you just disable these new features.
I am not exactly sure what the user interface of the RE220 running the lastest firmware looks like, but take the two screeshots below as examples.
In case "Security" is curently set to "WPA2/WPA3-Personal", then change it to "WPA/WPA2-Personal". (at least for the band to which you connect the Roku, be it 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz)

These wireless range extenders don't allow for selecting a specific Wi-Fi mode setting. So, I assume it's always 802.11b/g/n mixed and 802.11a/n/ac mixed.

Options