X50 connection problems - Sky Broadband

2024-03-16 09:23:50
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

I bought a 3 pack of the X50 mesh system to connect to my Sky Hub in AP mode. I had set this all up and thought that it was working ok but noticed a significant drop off in download and upload speeds (supposed to be 500/50, getting about 100/5-10).

My system is as follows:

Sky Hub router connected to main Deco X50 via ethernet, X50'S in AP mode and Sky Hub WiFi turned off to prevent double NAT;

Powerline adapter (Devolo 500+) connected to main X50;

2 X50 satellite nodes connected wirelessly to main X50;

Sky Q box connected by ethernet via powerline adapter (Devolo 500+);

2 Sky mini boxes connected via ethernet via powerline adapters (Devolo 500+).

Following investigations, we discovered the throttling seems to be caused by the use of the powerline adapters (why??); this does not happen when they are connected to the Sky Hub router directly however doing this causes the X50'S to stop working (devices won't connect to the X50'S via WiFi, any devices connected to an X50 via ethernet have no internet connection).

I've also tried connecting the Sky Q box and mini boxes to the X50 satellite nodes via ethernet cable but experience the same issues as above (no internet and unable to connect anything via WiFi).

I've also tried connecting the Sky Q and mini's via WiFi to the X50'S but that's causing problems too, unstable connection, might connect to the Sky Q box but then drops connection when adding a mini.

The whole process has been very frustrating and at this point I just want to get rid of the X50'S and just stick with the original Sky Hub router and it's limited WiFi range.

Does anyone have any suggestions or have any idea why the X50'S can't connect to devices via the ethernet ports without pulling the entire system down?

Options
4 Reply
Re:X50 connection problems - Sky Broadband
2024-03-18 07:35:02

@RDMH 

Hi, is the Devolo 500+, "Devolo dLAN® 500"?

https://www.devolo.co.uk/support/downloads/download/dlanr-500-wifi-powerline

As for the speed of 100/5-10, is it the speed on the Sky Q box/mini boxes? or WiFi/Ethernet speed from Deco X50?

I see the Devolo dLAN® 500 has an Ethernet  port of 10/100 (mbps) so I think the maximum speed from Devolo should be up to 100m/s,

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-03-18 08:06:25

@David-TP  Thanks for the response.

No, it's the Dlan duo powerline 550+ and these can take a speed of up to 500mb. The 100/ 5-10 mbs that I was referring to is what I'm seeing from the X50.

Also, I'm not having this issue when just using my ISPs router so the issue seems to be with the X50's, not the Devolo or Sky equivalent.

Options
2024-03-19 01:34:23

@RDMH 

Hi, I checked the user manual of Dlan duo powerline 550+ and I think it still has a fast Ethernet port:

https://www.devolo.global/fileadmin/Web-Content/DE/products/hnw/dlan-550-duo-powerline/documents/en/Datasheet_550_duo__UK_en.pdf

The 500m/s is for the powerline rate

Dlan duo powerline 550+ also supports Wi-Fi. Did you only use the Devolo to provide Ethernet connections for Sky q box/mni box?

Or do you use its Wi-Fi as well? Did Devolo use the same WiFi SSID as Deco?

---The reason I am asking is that since the main Devolo adapter is connected via an Ethernet cable behind Deco X50, the 100m/s Ethernet port should only affect the network connection of power adapters. The Wireless speed directly from Deco X50 should remain above 100m/s.

Previously you mentioned that 

Following investigations, we discovered the throttling seems to be caused by the use of the powerline adapters (why??); this does not happen when they are connected to the Sky Hub router directly.

I could not explain why it didn't happen with Sky Hub. But if removing the Devolo adapters made the Deco X50 get normal speed, the only possibility I could think of is that they might share the same SSID and you are connecting to the WiFi of Devolo powerline adapters.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-03-19 07:57:47

@David-TP Thanks for the below.

The Devolo 550+ Duo does not have WiFi (at least the version that I have), it is a pure powerline adapter so only ethernet connection is possible.

I have tried everything possible to try to get the X50's to work but now I can't even get a stable connection even if the powerline adapters are not connected. 

Given the fact that I done not experience any of these problems when just using the Sky Hub it seems that the X50's I have a either faulty or just 100% incompatible with powerline adapters. Given the issues experienced, I think they are faulty as even without the powerline adapters connected, the entire network grinds to a stop (red light of death) if anything is connected to an ethernet port on any of the X50'S (which really defeats the purpose of them being there to begin with).

It seems that I've no real alternative but to return these to the store for (hopefully) a refund as they are less than useless at present.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 161

Replies: 4

Related Articles