Wifi keeps disconnecting!

2024-03-21 09:57:32
Model: Archer T3U  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have this tp-link ac1300, Archer T3U Plus WIFI adapter, when I plug this in and start my PC, it works fine for a couple of minutes but then it keeps disconnecting and wifi disappears again and again, also "connected but no internet", overall it just doesn't work properly.

also for some reason windows drivers work more better than tp link drivers, after installing tp-link drivers, it just stops working at all

I've selected Archer T3U but mine is archer T3U plus but I couldn't find it. is this a discontinued version?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Wifi keeps disconnecting!
2024-03-22 07:40:29

@Praveeeeeeeeeen 

Hi, please install the driver here first:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/509006

How long have you had the adapter?

It is also suggested to test the same adapter on another computer to see whether the issue continues.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-03-22 09:27:38 - last edited 2024-03-22 09:30:19

@David-TP 

I downloaded the chipset driver and tried to install it manually but it had many drivers, I'm confused which one to pick. I tried one of them and it worked great after rebooting the PC as usual because it works great every time I reboot and then it doesn't work.

Also, I bought this device 2 years ago, I only used 1 month and then I didn't had a use of it because I had some other way to use the internet so I kept it in the box, I'm using now because I build a new PC and needed Wifi adapter, so I thought I would use this.

it has a mention of 3 year warranty on the box, is it possible to replace or return or anything like that? It's very hard to figure out the problem at this point, because it just works sometimes and sometimes not, making it harder and time consuming to fix the problem.

Options
2024-03-22 12:23:19

@Praveeeeeeeeeen 

Hi,

Of the four drivers within the chipset driver package (Win7X86, Win7X64, Win10X86 and Win10X64) you pick the one that matches the version of Microsoft Windows that is installed on your computer. The drivers in the folder Win10X64 also work for Windows 11.

Beside that, test if the T3U works better when plugged into a USB 2.0 port instead of a USB 3.0 port.

Options
2024-03-22 15:09:27

@woozle I did selected win 64 but it gave too many options, though one of them was already selected so I thought it would be the one, I did install it. After reboot, though it still drops signals, and yes disconnects time to time. 

I haven't tested this on 2.0 port, I'll do now. doesn't using 2.0 ports reduces its speed capability?

Options
2024-03-22 22:41:34

@Praveeeeeeeeeen 

Yes, plugging the T3U in an USB 2.0 port limits its speed to around 280 Mbps.

You mentioned the "Microsoft" driver that comes with Windows out of the box works better for you. The reason for that could be because that driver version always runs the T3U in USB 2.0 mode, even if plugged into an USB 3.0 port.

Options
2024-03-23 14:44:19

@woozle, it's sad since this adapter is advertise for like around 800 Mbps speed on 5g band, the main reason why I bought it for, is it a manufacture defect or only happening with my device? Though I read a lot of negative reviews about this particular series device on Reddit. 

not that I am giving up on this device but I tried the chipset driver and results are better, not that it's stable, it still drops signals and disconnects frequently even though router is just 1 meter away.

can you recommend some wiif adapter which doesn't have issues like this? seem like there are more adapters like this which has some serious issue like this.

also, if device is still in warranty, is it possible to get a replacement? though it would be hard to prove them that it's faulty because it randomly works for long time and sometimes just frequents drops.

Options
2024-03-23 21:50:04

@Praveeeeeeeeeen 

My personal experience with these USB Wi-Fi dongles is that the one's using chipsets from Realtek work great on computers that are based on Intel hardware (I had my wife use one of these for about 5 years on a Dell laptop without any complaints), but there are often issues when used on computers based on AMD hardware.

So, if your PC uses Intel chips and you have the problems you've mentioned, then perhaps contact your local TP-Link support and see if you can get your T3U replaced. However, if your PC uses AMD chips, then I guess these are just the known issues you've also read about elsewhere and a replacement would likely not change anything.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 236

Replies: 7

Related Articles