Seeking advice on extending home network

2024-03-21 12:55:29

I am looking for some advice on extending my home network to our garden room. We have a Fritz Box wifi router for our broadband in the house. The garden room is 75 meters away from the house and has power running to it from the house. We have also run a cat5 cable from the house to the garden room.

The problem we have is the location of the broadband router in the house is no where near where the cat5 cable from the garden room enters the house and it would be very difficult to extend the cable to reach the router. I am wondering if there is a product or wireless access point we can use to act as a bridge between the broadband router in the house and the garden room. My thinking is to have a device that connects to the wifi in the house and also connects to the cat 5 cable that runs to the garden room. This device would then provide the internet connection to the garden room via the cat5 cable. I am thinking I would need another wireless access point or router in the garden room.

I anyone able to provide advice on how this setup could be achieved? I hope the above makes sense.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Seeking advice on extending home network
2024-03-22 06:01:21 - last edited 2024-03-22 06:04:16

@Raslok 

Hi, 

You could consider an access point listed here: Wireless Access Point and configure it as Client Mode, which will connect wirelessly to your current router and provide wired connection only to other device, then use another router/access point in the garden room to provide WiFi.

Note: please ensure the WiFi signal of your router is still good enough at the cat 5 cable location that runs to the garden room.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 91

Replies: 1

Related Articles