Deco M5 device connection pretence issue.

2024-03-24 19:30:46
Tags: #Network Connectivity #Network password issue via app
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest (updated 25/3/24)

Setting up Deco M5 with 2 additional modes. I have set up a main M5 unit with 2 nodes one of which is downstairs. When I realised that devices do not automatically choose nearest node (no idea why this doesn't happen as it really should), I manually chose the the node closest in the app.

As soon as the app moves the laptop (Windows 11 all updates) to the closest node, the laptop cannot reconnect as it says the password is incorrect.

I have tried changing the password via the app, clearing/forget wifi network and reconnecting. Additionally when my partner tried to connect on her device for the first time with the 'new' password it won't let her connect saying 'imcorrect' password.

I have issues with this system straight out of the box with with poor speeds and devices around the house ignoring the nearest node and trying to connect to the main node farthest away.

The original ISP modem is actually faster at this stage.  (1G Fibre)So far not an impressive start.

For an out of the box experience this has been pretty poor.

Can anyone assist?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 device connection pretence issue.
2024-03-24 20:58:25 - last edited 2024-03-24 21:00:58

@KosmikFox 

Deco M5 is WiFi 5. In my tests, in almost ideal conditions, it can deliver up to 500Mbps on WiFi. Satellite Deco will be half of that, and that is not Deco mesh issue but limitation of WiFi mesh technology. In most cases, M5 speeds will be less than in my tests.

Your ISP modem/router must be WiFi 6 at least, if you have gigabit Internet link. It can deliver gigabit WiFi speeds. It will be faster than M5.

You also have bunch of issues with your setup, and these are not so easy to troubleshoot.

Maybe instead of spending time on M5s, you'll send them back for refund and try WiFi 6 capable mesh instead, from TP-Link or from different brand?

Check with your ISP. Nowadays many ISP modem/routers are mesh capable and ISP offers additional "pods" for them which are WiFi mesh nodes. If your ISP does, it would make sense to try these first: compatible with your ISP modem/router and with tech support from ISP. Some ISPs even offer on site technician visit to optimally place their pods.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 97

Replies: 1

Tags

Network Connectivity
Network password issue via app
Related Articles