Deco S7 connection preference

2024-03-28 16:45:19

Hello!

I just recently purchased Deco S7 units, 6 in total (2x 3 unit pack).

They work as intended, and I quite like them, however I would like to configure my connection preferences.

Is there any info on when this feature will become available for the S7? My understanding is that other models already recived this feature via a firmware update. 

I'm fine with this setup for the time being, however if this feature won't come to the S7, I'm thinking about returning them.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco S7 connection preference
2024-03-29 10:15:36

@UrbyG 

Hi, welcome to the community.

According to the roadmap, Deco S7 is planned to support the "Connection Preference" feature.

However, the engineer's team is unwilling to disclose an ETA. There is a risk that this feature will take a year or more to implement if no expected date is provided.

Like Deco M4_V2, so far we only have the Beta firmware for trial.

I don't wish to make a prediction and hold you for a long time. I can provide updates in the community as long as there is further news further but I also respect your choice if you don't want to keep Deco S7.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-03-29 11:44:18

@UrbyG I think the preferred connection is essential and no way should it take over a year to implement. I have 2 deco s7 connected via Ethernet and if I need to reboot then about a third of my 40+ devices don't connect to the closest S7. , even though the connection they make is shown as weak !

Options
2024-04-03 07:03:42

@David-TP Thank you for the info!

At least for now I'm fine with this setup, so I think I'll just stick with it. 

However I would like to voice my concerns regarding the planned update schedule.

In today's day and age waiting a whole year for a rudimentary feature to arrive for a device like this is simply put ridiculous and paints a rather bleak picture of the company.

Options
2024-04-04 07:55:23

@UrbyG Well, with the rollout of Wi-Fi 6E & Wi-Fi 7 routers, Wi-Fi 5 routers (except M5 & M9 Plus) are not prioritized anymore

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
3 weeks ago

@David-TP 

Dear David,

this is really sad.

I am returning 3 Deco S7  + 2 Deco E4 because of this...

if you get a preffered connection between satellite Decos, this would be a great product,

I am totally agreeing with the comment that this should be a priority for TP-Link and not just something that will happen sometime.

This is an smart move in regards of enviroment (not waste - extended product life) + trust in the quality of the brand... something your competition is not doing.

This should not affect the sell of new products, which will be selling no matter what because of new tech in them.

I live in a "3rd. world country" and your products are not easily available here.

Thank you.

Options
Tuesday - last edited Tuesday

@David-TP When will S7 receive a new firmware upgrade? It has been more than 4 years since people reported the need of this and it was introduced to several models. Why is it taking this long for S7 (which is relatively a very new product) to receive such a vital upgrade? Isn't there at least a Beta version to try out?

Simply put, the lack of this feature is making your product useless! My devices connect to the Deco in the other room while it has a Deco 30 cms away from it!

How can you let this issue slip for years and years without a fix and you won't give it priority? Can you imagine how many people considering to buy TP Link Mesh products read these issues and complaints and change their mind? It's just unbelievable.

Options
Tuesday

yunusual wrote

My devices connect to the Deco in the other room while it has a Deco 30 cms away from it!

@yunusual 

In Deco app, configure Main Network to run on 5 GHz only and that will help to convince devices connect to Deco unit nearby.

Options