VPN Client DNS Server
VPN Client DNS Server
2024-04-04 06:55:58
Tags: #VPN #VPN client
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20240117 Rel. 52274

Hello community and TP-Link team

I have been using the VPN Client (Open VPN) on my Deco for sometime and the support for it is very flaky. I have some questions regarding this:

1- It is very common that when I change my Deco to connect to a different server, it doesn't connect at first (it says connecting ... even though my VPN Server says it is connected but then Deco clients on the list to use other client don't really connect or work)

2- When I select a client to use the VPN Client on Deco I would expect this client DNS requests to be trapped and sent to the VPN Server DNS - It seems that the client behind Deco still uses the same DNS server as if it was not a VPN Client device ? Can you please let me know how to change this and make the VPN Client client use the DNS provided by the DNS Client server when Deco establishes the connection to that server ?

3- When is Wireguard support on BE85 coming ?

Thanks

Nuno

Options
8 Reply
Re:VPN Client DNS Server
3 weeks ago

@Rider +1 on third question !

Wireguard is a must.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Rider 

@Fr4p4d1ngu3 

Hi, Deco BE85 will support Wireguard VPN via the firmware upgrade.

As for the request - Selected VPN Client devices could use the DNS server of the VPN server, this feature has been forwarded to the senior engineers before and there hasn't been a clear roadmap about it yet.

For the first issue, will it connect to the server in the end after a few seconds/minutes or Do you need to change some settings to get it finally connected?

Would you be able to constantly reproduce this issue?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi   @David-TP 

I can constantly reproduce this 

It does not connect... I need to disable the vpn client and enable again until it ends up connecting - at least this is what I found to make it work. 

When it says "connecting" on the deco client, the clients associated with the VPN can't connect anywhere. When it finally connects (after disabling and enabling again until it stops saying "connecting" and goes to "connected") then the clients are able to connect 

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP 

Can you please advise ?

Thanks

Nuno

Options
2 weeks ago

@Rider 

Hi, sorry that I missed your reply.

I have sent the latest beta firmware for Deco BE85_V1 and could you please help me test whether it improves the VPN client status issue?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP I got it, is there a way I can verify the file ?

Are there release notes or documentation regarding this update ?

Also does this update enable wireguard ?

Thanks

Nuno

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP 

I have downloaded the firmware, upgraded the decos BE85, rebooted (part of the upgrade anyway) and I still can reproduce the problem exactly the same way

Nothing seems to have changed relating VPN Client. Decos are still using OpenVPN client 2.4.11 which is ancient so I am not sure what was the improvements expected but there doesn't seem to be any improvement at all 

Wireguard also seems not to be there yet ... at least the client (client means Deco App) doesn't show that option, maybe the client needs to have an update too but not sure how to do this as I don't have it 

Please advise 

Thanks

Nuno

Options
2 weeks ago

@Rider 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

The beta 1.0.18 hasn't added Wiredguard VPN yet.

I would like to forward your case via email to the senior engineer for further assistance.

Please check whether you have received my email.

Best regards.

Options