How to set up Deco e4 with powerline adapter & desktop switch?

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

Hi, 

I understand there have been a few threads about this but I was not able to find one about setting it up. I have the 3 pack e4 for my 2 floors home with the main e4 in the main bedroom on the 2nd floor. I would like to improve the connection of the slave e4 on the first floor using powerline adapter. Currently my e4 are on AP mode.

Desired setup:

Router > deco e4 (main in AP mode) > powerline > deco e4 (slave)

1. Can this set up work if my main deco is on AP mode?
  2. Will the slave e4 be a part of the main mesh network in this set up or will it just function like a separate ssid?
  3. Can I plug and play with the powerline adapter or is there a additional setting?

Also, a follow up question, would it be possible if I want to add a switch like LS1005 to the main deco and slave deco? How do I set them up?

Would the set up like this work?

Floor 1

Router > deco e4 (main) > powerline > deco e4 (slave) > switch

Floor 2

Powerline > deco e4 (slave) > switch

Thanks in advance!

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to set up Deco e4 with powerline adapter & desktop switch?
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@sayajoris 

This will work as long as powerline adapters are compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. Do you already have powerline adapters you plan to try, or would you like to have recommendations which to buy?

Desired setup:

This should work. Also, the following alternative option will also work with Deco mesh running in AP mode:

Router Port 1 > deco e4 (main in AP mode) 

Router Port 2 > powerline > deco e4 (slave)

The primary requirement is to have both powerline adapters on same circuit breaker, so either one of the above that can achieve that requirement.

Yes, it will.

2. Will the slave e4 be a part of the main mesh network in this set up or will it just function like a separate ssid?

Satellite E4 will stay as a part of Deco mesh network.

3. Can I plug and play with the powerline adapter or is there a additional setting?

It is plug and play if powerline adapters are compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. If they are, Satellite Deco will report Ethernet link, example:

If powerline adapters are not compatible with Deco, Deco mesh will either be unstable or Satellite Deco will keep reporting WiFi link to Main Deco.

Also, a follow up question, would it be possible if I want to add a switch like LS1005 to the main deco and slave deco? How do I set them up?

Yes, it would be possible. You will need unmanaged switch. No special setup is required.

TP-Link brand is recommended if you connect two Deco to each other through the switch, but for:

Floor 2

any switch can do. 

Options
2 weeks ago

Alexandre. wrote

@sayajoris 

This will work as long as powerline adapters are compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. Do you already have powerline adapters you plan to try, or would you like to have recommendations which to buy?

Desired setup:

This should work. Also, the following alternative option will also work with Deco mesh running in AP mode:

Router Port 1 > deco e4 (main in AP mode) 

Router Port 2 > powerline > deco e4 (slave)

The primary requirement is to have both powerline adapters on same circuit breaker, so either one of the above that can achieve that requirement.

Yes, it will.

Satellite E4 will stay as a part of Deco mesh network.

It is plug and play if powerline adapters are compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. If they are, Satellite Deco will report Ethernet link, example:

If powerline adapters are not compatible with Deco, Deco mesh will either be unstable or Satellite Deco will keep reporting WiFi link to Main Deco.

Yes, it would be possible. You will need unmanaged switch. No special setup is required.

TP-Link brand is recommended if you connect two Deco to each other through the switch, but for:

Floor 2

any switch can do. 

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your reply.

I have the TL-WPA4220 KIT but have not integrated it to the current mesh network, but interested to purchase additional powerline adapter like the TL-PA7017 KIT in combination with the current powerline to improve the satellite e4 connections for all rooms including on another floor. I assume I can mix the powerline adapters since it's from TP Link as well.

Options
2 weeks ago

@sayajoris 

I can't speak about compatibility between TP-Link powerline adapters, that would be question for powerline adapters forums.

TL-PA7017 KIT is what I was going to recommend. Note that there is also similar TL-PA7017P KIT, which has pass-through power socket. Could come handy if there is just one available electric outlet where you will have both Deco and powerline adapter.

Options
2 weeks ago
Oh nice. Will look into it. Thanks!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 159

Replies: 4

Related Articles