Backhaul - swaps direction

2024-04-15 11:24:12
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.6

Hi all,

I'm having partial ehternet backhaul problems.

I've looked up various posts and there's nothing I can find that aligns directly to my issue - I'm hoping someone may be able to advise?

I have a mix of M5 and S4. All firmware up to date where possible (1.7.6 M5, 1.6.1 S4).

I have ethernet backhaul (Cat 7)only between the M5 and Office.

However, it will eventually switch as below.

• The Office will start using wifi instead of ethernet, and connect to the Dining Room via wifi... which is a very weak signal due to the distance.
  • The M5 says it is connected to Office via ethernet, even through it is the overall weaker route to the main deco.
  • The only way to resolve the issue and return it to the desired state, is rebooting the Office.
  • Once rebooted and fixed, it will certainly stay that way all day.

At first I thought it may be a reboot sequence/order that is causing the issue (I have all devices reset at 5am through the Deco interface), but it can switch well after the reset time when all devices are back up. ... although I don't know why it switches over or what specific time.

I am essentially using a setup very similar to this supported model:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1794/

Tests from FAQ:

• I have confirmed that IPTV feature is disabled in Deco interface.
  • I have swapped interface for on both devices, trying all 4 configurations.
  • I do have a switch connected to main, but not between the router and main - effectively a satellite router for multiple local devices to connect to main.
  • I haven't tried a new eth cable, but performance is great through various tests when connected correctly and clearly the eth cable works and is used even when in incorrect direction.

Any advice?

There is no setting to "persist" ethernet connection in one direction, or other wise turn the Office Wifi connection option off...

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Backhaul - swaps direction
2024-04-15 14:19:48 - last edited 2024-04-15 15:41:12

@MrBeatnik 

You have very interesting case. You are correct, there is no setting to "persist" ethernet backhaul connection in one direction, or otherwise turn the WiFi backhaul connection option off.

Because of that, if both these Deco, M5 and Office, can establish WiFI backhaul link to the rest of the Deco mesh, either could do that and second one will switch to Ethernet.

I can tell you how backhauls work and that may help to figure how to reduce chance for Ethernet backhaul to swap direction. There is no fix, just workarounds.

First of all, when you do Deco mesh restart at 5am, you are tossing the coin. Which one of M5 and Office Deco comes online first - will connect to the rest of Deco mesh by WiFi. When second of these two comes online it'll find working Ethernet backhaul and switch to it.

If you stop rebooting your Deco mesh, that will reduce chances of Ethernet backhaul going the wrong way after reboot.

When Deco node establishes Ethernet backhaul, it does not switch to WiFi unless there is a reason. That reason would be unplugging of Ethernet cable or Deco on the other side of Ethernet cable (M5 in your case) losing connection to Deco mesh, even briefly.

When Deco node establishes WiFi backhaul to another Deco, it stays connected to that Deco unless it loses WiFi signal to it. Then, it will briefly go offline while searching for other Deco with stronger signal to connect to. By default, Satellite Deco prefers connecting over WiFi to Main Deco, even if signal between them is very weak.

Suppose, you have Ethernet backhaul the way you want: Office to M5, then the only reason for Office to switch to WiFi would be for M5 to lose its WiFi link to Deco mesh (even briefly) or go offilne (also even briefly). 

There is of course flaky Ethernet cable reason, too, but it is less likely - still check cable and that its both ends are tightly plugged into Office and M5 Decos Ethernet ports.

These are the reasons for M5 to lose its link to Deco mesh I can think of:

1. Brief loss of power to M5;

2. Brief loss of power to Deco that M5 connects to by WiFi. In your "good" diagram M5 connects to Dining Room Deco. If Dining Room Deco briefly lost power or rebooted, M5 will go offline for a moment and Office Deco will switch to WiFi backhaul.

3. M5 has weak WiFi backhaul signal, loses it and switches to Deco with stronger WiFi backhaul signal. It may be possible that after Deco mesh reboot M5 connected to Main Deco (Living Room) instead of Dining Room Deco. If WiFi backhaul to Main Deco is weak, at some random moment M5 will briefly disconnect to switch to Dining Room, and that is when Office will switch to WiFi backhaul.

So, what to do about that all:

1. Disable regular Deco mesh reboot. If you want to keep Deco mesh reboot, connect Office Deco through Smart plug such as TP-Link Kasa HS103, program that smart plug to power off and on Office Deco 5 minutes after Deco mesh reboot;

2. Use Connection Preference feature to force M5 always connect to Dining Room, see Part 1 of the following TP-Link document: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

3. Connect M5 Deco through UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to ensure it is not impacted by brief power fluctuations.

4. Move Office Deco and Dining Room Deco further away from each other, so that Office Deco can't establish WiFi link to Dining Room Deco.

Options
Re:Backhaul - swaps direction
2024-04-15 16:05:02

@Alexandre. Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

So, what to do about that all:

1. Disable regular Deco mesh reboot. If you want to keep Deco mesh reboot, connect Office Deco through Smart plug such as TP-Link Kasa HS103, program that smart plug to power off and on Office Deco 5 minutes after Deco mesh reboot;

2. Use Connection Preference feature to force M5 always connect to Dining Room, see Part 1 of the following TP-Link document: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

3. Connect M5 Deco through UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to ensure it is not impacted by brief power fluctuations.

4. Move Office Deco and Dining Room Deco further away from each other, so that Office Deco can't establish WiFi link to Dining Room Deco.

#1 That's a great idea about the plug. I'm fairly confident that the problem happens well after a reboot, but I can set up a subsequent reboot to make sure. I like to keep the reboots as it has resolved other issues in the past when the system is up for a week.

#2 I forgot to mention I already do this.

#3 Might help others with the issue, but not viable for me with location/need.

#4 Yes I will try this as well.

As a #5, I think I could extend/add ethernet backhaul from M5 to Dining Room, even termporarily. If that resolves the issue it would point to M5 losing WiFi brielfy as the cause. In any case, that's a couple of options I can try. Thank you!

Options