IPV6 Failing after 30 Minutes

2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Deco BE65  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 build 20240307 Rel. 59968

Hi, I had fibre broadband fitted today and I am using the BE65 Mesh system, before on my PPPOE connection my TP link was publishing IPv6 addresses fine, but now on fibre it isn't. My ISP said the settings are DHCPv6 for WAN, Prefix delegation of /56 and it is Stateful and Dynamic. The IPV4 is set to Dynamic IP.

my IPV6 settings are set to Dynamic IP and everything is in auto, with Prefix Delegation toggle turned on, it states an IPV6 address but with a /64 prefix under IP address. 

My Apple devices state they are getting 3 IPV6 addresses, 1 under Router that starts fe80 and 2 under IP Addresses, one starts fbd2 and the other starts 2a10, but when I run any IPV6 tests they state I don't have IPv6 working? Is the prefix wrong? If so how can I change it as their doesn't seem to be any options to.

Any help appreciated.

Options
16 Reply
Re:IPV6 Not Working.
2 weeks ago

@MarkyR74 I should add the topology, very simple, ONT to TP Link Deco which is then using Ethernet to connect to my second Deco. I shall be receiving my ISP's router this week so will set it up and check its IPV6 settings and if it's working. 

I have tested with my iPhones and iPads, Steam Deck and my works Windows Laptop, the laptop gets 1 Link-Local IPv6 address and 2 IPv6 DNS server addresses and 2 IPv6 addresses. But I don't think I can test for IPv6 as it's in a VPN.

Options
2 weeks ago

@MarkyR74 

Hi, welcome to the community.

You could refer to this link post. Though it was a little old, it explained why there are three IPV6 address on Apple devices:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/comments/aauvnv/why_there_is_3_ipv6_addresses/

As for the IPV6 internet service, is there another ISP router in front of Deco BE65? Or it is just a bridge fiber ONT/modem?

If there is another ISP router in the front, did it help if you change the IPV6 connection type to "Bridge"?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@David-TP Hi, thanks I'll look at that link. I just have the ONT and then an Ethernet cable from that directly to the Deco. Nothing else is connected in between and the fiber line goes directly into the ONT from outside the house. It just seems odd. I have e the ISP router coming to me so will test with that once it arrives. They support IPV6.

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP Fixed it! Very odd, I set the Assigned Type to SLACC+Stateless and the 'Get IPv6 Address' to Stateful and it worked, but I know the SLACC is wrong so I changed the Assigned Type back to DHCPv6 and left the other setting on Stateful and it still worked, I rebooted the router after each change, it is strange as I'm sure I tried the Stateful setting yesterday? But all the IPv6 tests are passing now so happy days.

Options

Take it back, it's now not working again? No reboot or anything? What is going on? Is the router or my ISP refreshing the IPV6 address and causing It to stop working?

Options

@MarkyR74 From what I can surmise, I've tried literally every IPV6 configuration in the TP Link app, I have had to reboot the Deco's every time I make a change, after which I get IPV6 fine for about 40 minutes ish, and with no warning or noticeable changes IPV6 just stops working? I know this by running those online IPV6 tests. 

I had these Decis with my old VDSL connection and IPV6 worked perfectly fine on a PPPOE connection, only thing I havn't done is do a factory reset and set them up from scratch, is it worth doing that?

Options
2 weeks ago

@MarkyR74 

Hi, I think it is not worth doing a hardware reset.

Have you tried to plug a computer via a cable to the fiber ONT and turn off IPV4 on the PC, leave IPV6 only; then check whether the PC maintains a stable IPV6 connection?

By the way, May I know who is your internet service provider?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2 weeks ago

@David-TP I haven't tried gong direct to the ONT but can try to, but my providers own router will arrive today so I'll set it up later and test with that as if it still does it I know it'll be outside my equipment. My provider is someone called Squirrel Internet, I'm in the UK.

Options

@David-TP Well I plugged my providers router in, a Zyxel model, it connected up and I have had all IPV6 tests passing perfectly fine for nearly an hour now, no issues. Also it feels like it's running faster too, and it isn't blocking ICMP unlike the TP Link which does. So it looks like the TP Link is doing something to drop IPV6 on my network after 30 minutes if I get it working. 
Can you explain why and how to fix it? Or will a firmware update be needed?

Options
a week ago

@David-TP Well I factory reset the Deco and it was exactly the same, it worked fine on IPV6 for 30 minutes then stopped. Exactly the same as before, do you have any suggestions of what to try? It is setup as per my providers instructions. Otherwise I'll have to send them back for a refund and buy something else.

Options