Can ethernet and wifi connection work simultaneously?

a week ago
Model: TL-PA8010P KIT   Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I apologize if this is a dumb question but perhaps someone here can help. 

Some background information...I'm running a mesh network at home with the help of powerline adapters, all from TP Link. I have a Brother printer that doesn't have an ethernet port, just wifi connection, and located in a separate room from my PC. My AIO PC's wifi max out around 50 Mbps even though it's in the same room as the main Deco M4 so, naturally, I prefer the ethernet connection which gets me around 150 Mbps.

Question: Can both connections work simultaneously so I can print over wifi to my printer that's in another room while still having the ethernet cable plugged in? Otherwise, I would have plug/unplug it everytime I want to print. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Can ethernet and wifi connection work simultaneously?
a week ago

@sayajoris 

Hi,

If you are unable to connect to the Brother printer when the PC is connected via Ethernet cable, then this probably means the Ethernet cable is connected to a different network than the printer.

Can you explain a bit more detailled who is connected to the Deco network and how the Powerline adapters are connected?

As for you question about being connected via cable and Wi-Fi simultanously. What does actually happen when both are connected? Is the printer not accessible when the cable is also plugged into the PC?

Options
a week ago

@woozle 

woozle wrote

@sayajoris 

Hi,

If you are unable to connect to the Brother printer when the PC is connected via Ethernet cable, then this probably means the Ethernet cable is connected to a different network than the printer.

Can you explain a bit more detailled who is connected to the Deco network and how the Powerline adapters are connected?

As for you question about being connected via cable and Wi-Fi simultanously. What does actually happen when both are connected? Is the printer not accessible when the cable is also plugged into the PC?

I only have one network at home, a combination of mesh via Deco setup and powerline adapters. The wired connection is from the main Deco M4 (modem > Deco > PA8010P) which then I connect the satellite Deco throughout the house with (PA8010P > Deco).

The printer does not have a LAN port so it's either wifi or USB cable. The PC is connected with ethernet on this same network but right now if I want to print I need to connect to wifi and unplug the ethernet cable because, AFAIK, the wifi won't work if I have a live wired network. So, back to my question, is there any way both wifi and wired connection can work simultaneously so I don't need to plug and unplug my PC to print? 

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

sayajoris wrote

The printer does not have a LAN port so it's either wifi or USB cable. The PC is connected with ethernet on this same network but right now if I want to print I need to connect to wifi and unplug the ethernet cable because, AFAIK, the wifi won't work if I have a live wired network. So, back to my question, is there any way both wifi and wired connection can work simultaneously so I don't need to plug and unplug my PC to print? 

@sayajoris 

If the Ethernet cable and the Wi-Fi connect you to the same network, then you cannot have both connected at the same time, as this creates a network loop. (this is a general issue in networking, not just TP-Link hardware)

But if the Ethernet cable connects you to the same network as the Wi-Fi connection, then the printer should be accessible via the PC's Ethernet connection as well (even when the printer is connected via Wi-Fi), unless some restrictions have been set up. (like, printer connected to "Guest" network or device isolation is enabled, but I am not sure about the features available on the Deco M4)

Options
Monday

@sayajoris 

Yes, you can have both the Ethernet connection and Wi-Fi connection active simultaneously on your PC. This allows you to print over Wi-Fi to your Brother printer while still utilizing the faster Ethernet connection for internet access. No need to constantly plug/unplug the cable.

Options
Monday

RobertSterrett wrote

@sayajoris 

Yes, you can have both the Ethernet connection and Wi-Fi connection active simultaneously on your PC. This allows you to print over Wi-Fi to your Brother printer while still utilizing the faster Ethernet connection for internet access. No need to constantly plug/unplug the cable.

@RobertSterrett how do I do this? Because I have tried but it won't print. So initially while connected to Wifi I plugged in the LAN cable (by way of powerline) to the PC and the wifi icon changed to wired connection. Are there additional setting I have to apply?

Options
Monday

@sayajoris 

I suggest we should first ascertain whether you are connecting to one and the same local area network two times or whether you are connecting to two separate local area networks. (when Ethernet and Wi-Fi are both connected)

I think the best way would be if you connect both Ethernet and Wi-Fi at the same time, then go to the "Network and Sharing Center" of Windows (link is within the Control Panel) and get us all the IPv4 addresses of the local network for each connection. Below are some screenshots to illustrate how to get there and what we need to see and what information you can black out.

Options