QoS not working

QoS not working
QoS not working
a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20240106 Rel. 2319

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use the QoS function to mitigate excessive latency (eg. bufferbloat), but the bandwidth limitation doesn't work as supposed it should be. My internet is 500/50 Mbps via cable modem (configured as bridge) and the Deco is connected on modem ethernet port 1 as a router. I did a test by exchanging the Deco for a TP-Link Archer C20 that I have and it performs the QoS function correctly, but the speed is limited to 100 Mbps, because of  C20 capabilities. Is there any solution for use Deco QoS correctly?

Options
5 Reply
Re:QoS not working

@Jeison_F 

Hi, may I know the hardware version of your Archer C20?

I checked Bandwidth Control on C20_V6, It is quite different from the QOS settings on the Deco.

On the Deco X60, it allows to set the total internet bandwidth and set the priority for certain devices.

How about your QOS configuration?

When you mentioned "it doesn't work as supposed", can I have more details on how the QOS doesn't work as expected?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options

@David-TP Thanks for your reply!

The hardware of Acher C20 that I´m using is 1.0 version.
As I said the total bandwidth from my ISP is 500 Mbps of download and 50 Mbps of upload, so when I tried to set de Deco QoS, I use that exactly values.
When I said “It doesn´t work as supposed” it is based on comparison between the C20 bandwidth control, because when I set the C20 QoS in 60/60, for example, there is a limitation in that speed (I checked at Speedtest.com), but when I set Deco QoS in 200/30, e.g, that limitation does not work.
Why this occurs? The behavior of Deco QoS and Acher C20 QoS are different? If so, can you give me an advice in order to keep using Deco, but free of buffebloat? 

Thanks again.

Options
a week ago

@Jeison_F 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

"When I said “It doesn´t work as supposed” it is based on a comparison between the C20 bandwidth control, because when I set the C20 QoS in 60/60, for example, there is a limitation in that speed (I checked at Speedtest.com), but when I set Deco QoS in 200/30, e.g, that limitation does not work."

• Is the speedtest from Deco X60 over 200m/s?

Could you please help me run a simple test:

Under the guest network, it allows you to set "Bandwidth Control" under Deco APP>More>Guest Network>Advanced. Please set 200/30 m/s here and test whether the speedtest is under 200/30 m/s.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options

Hi @David-TP,
Answering your first question… Yes, in that situation the speedtest from Deco X60 was over 200m/s.

I did the suggested test, and for the first evaluation the bandwidth control worked, now I will perform additional tests for bufferbloat evaluation in order to find the right bandwidth setting.
If that works, I could use the guest network as the main network. Is it correct? Anyway, considering this configuration I think that if I use the ethernet cable plugged into DECO, the bufferbloat issue will still occur. But, even so, your suggestion is a considerable solution.

I have another question, is it possible to do an Internet speed test on the X60 v3.0 connected to my home network when I am in other location, e.g, at work? I'm asking because when I open the TP-LINK Wi-Fi Tools app at work it searches for a Wi-Fi network.

Thanks again.

Options
a week ago

@Jeison_F 

Hi, I'm afraid the "Speedtest" in the Wi-Fi Tool kit couldn't test the internet bandwidth on the Deco X60_V3 remotely.

It tests the current wireless network the mobile phone is connected to, which means the WiFi network at work.

You are right that the Ethernet connections from Deco are not part of the Guest Network and they belong to the main network.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 149

Replies: 5

Related Articles