EasyMesh satellite router not showing any connected clients

2 weeks ago
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20240129 rel.57815(4555)

Hello! I just bought a second Archer AX55 to build an EasyMesh network with Ethernet Backhaul at home to achieve seamless roaming between the different floors. I have both routers updated with firmware 1.3.1 Build 20240129 rel.57815(4555).

Up until today, I had the ISP router setup in the ground floor and the AX55 in the second floor in AP mode. I configured both routers to broadcast the same SSID and password, but in the first floor the clients tend to keep switching between the two routers and the WiFi performance is not good. My plan was to disable the ISP router's WiFi network and add a second AX55 in the ground floor but in a more central location, and enable the EasyMesh network with Ethernet Backhaul to achieve better performance in the first floor.

The EasyMesh network with Ethernet Backhaul seems to have breen created correctly, at least that's what the UI shows (the third node I assume it's the ISP's router, I am not sure why it's showing up):

I kept the original AX55 (the one in the second floor) as the main router for the EasyMesh network, but I kept it in AP mode. I added the new ground floor AX55 as a satellite node to the first one and disabled the ISP router's WiFi network.

The network seems to be working (can't say for sure if roaming is working properly or it could be better), but now the satellite device is not showing any connected clients, and I've made sure it has a bunch of them (my phone and various Tapo devices for example). All the devices work properly and with perfectly good internet speeds.

I should clarify that both routers are not directly connected to each other. They are both connected to the ISP's router, which is acting as a switch. I am also not using the WAN port in any of the routers.

What am I missing? Is something wrong in my setup? Do both routers need to be directly connected to each other to work properly?

Thanks for your help!

Options
6 Reply
Re:EasyMesh satellite router not showing any connected clients
2 weeks ago

@jm_carmona 

Hi,

Since you have firmware version 1.3.1 installed, you should be able to log into the Satellite Easymesh Archer AX55 via its IP address.

So, could you please check inside the webGUI of the "Salon" AX55 whether it shows any clients connected?

Options
2 weeks ago

Hey @woozle , thanks for your reply!

It is showing only 1 client connected, even if it really has numerous ones connected.

It was only showing up my phone, I connected my Mac laptop too and started showing up only the laptop, and the phone now is not listed in any of the routers. Same thing goes for 2 Tapo C425 cameras, one Tapo P100M, one Tapo CP300, one Tapo H100, various smart light bulbs from other manufacturers and a bunch of smart home appliances (air conditioning, smart oven, smart diswhasher, etc), they are connected but they don't show up in any of the routers.

Disconnected the laptop again, and only the phone showed up instead. Disconnected the phone, and now it's only showing up the oven. Connected the laptop again and it showed up instead. All these devices are connected using the 5GHz network, I connected a new 2.4GHz device (smart bulb) and it didn't replace the device that was being shown, so I assume it is only displaying the latest connected device, but prioritizing the 5GHz devices.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Options
2 weeks ago

Sorry, forgot to attach the screenshot of the satellite router's client list:

Options
2 weeks ago

@jm_carmona 

That looks like a bug in the firmware then. TP-Link should verify this.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

The satellite router is also messing with my ISP router somehow, making it randomly restart. When it happens, the ISP router keeps restarting itself non stop and I have to unplug the network cable going to the satellite router to make it stable, otherwise I lose the internet connectivity completely due to the continuous restarts.

After unplugging the network cable, the EasyMesh connection between the routers was stabilshed using WiFi backhaul instead of Ethernet backhaul. Now, all the devices are properly listed in the router's admin webpage and in the Tether app. So it definitely looks like an issue with the Ethernet Backhaul.

However, the satellite router's admin page keeps showing only one connected 5GHz device, like in my previous screenshot.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@jm_carmona 

I have a very similar setup with two AX55 routers.  The only difference is that the ISP router and the main router are on the second floor with the ISP router in bridge mode.  The satellite AX55 is on the ground floor and is directly wired to the main router with no switches in between.  Some users have reported problems when using the ethernet backhaul connection through a switch.

The clients list in the satellite router never shows all its connected clients.  For example, only one client is now showing in my router's web interface but 10 clients are connected.  I brought this issue up a short time ago and the thread is here.  The good thing though is that the main router's clients list is very complete and shows all the clients, independently of which router is providing the connection.  If you need to see an accurate list for the satellite router, you need to go to Advanced, EasyMesh, Mesh Device Detail, and click the edit icon (the one on the left of the three).  In the new window, click Clients.

I would recommend that you connect your ground floor AX55 directly to your ISP's router and make it the main router for EasyMesh.  If double NAT is a problem, you can configure it as an Access Point instead of a wireless router.  It still can act as the EasyMesh controller. The AX55 on the second floor should be connected with the cable between the ground floor and second floor.  I had this setup earlier this year due to beta firmware problems.  I also have gone one step further by placing a range extender (RE700X) on the first floor.

Options