Loss of network after firmware update 1.5.0

Thursday - last edited Thursday
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

Problem arising after recent firmware update. 1.5.0 Build 20240329 Rel. 61026.

I have TP-Link Deco S7 AC1900 pack of three S7(1.0). Almost every morning (midnight to 4am) the Main unit loses internet connection and devices cannot connect to the Main unit even though the WiFi name is visible (I use an iPad for testing).

My usual set up is: Virgin Media Super Hub 3 in modem mode with 250 Mbps BB. I get between 250 Mbps and 290 Mbps on my phone using speedtest app. Usual Operation Mode WiFi Router, fast Roaming disabled  and Beamforming enabled. LED Control set to off but now switched on ready for next time.

I have also tried using the Deco as an Access Point but it is just the same. I have just set the Deco and the Superhub as two separate networks so I don’t lose the WiFI overnight (the Superhub is used as the main network and the Deco WiFi is just for testing and for my Sky stream TV box).

I have factory reset all three Decos and swapped the Main unit for what was a satellite unit and which is now the Main unit. Still fails overnight.

Deco S7s are as they came out the box, except for the settings to get them connected. Nothing else on the Network except the usual clients.

I see older versions of firmware are available for download but the release notes for the latest says no going back?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Loss of network after firmware update 1.5.0
Friday - last edited Friday

@Tim_7 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed you mentioned the disconnection always started at a specific time which reminds me of a similar post a few days ago also with the VM hub: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/670928. But Hub 3 doesn't have a 2.5Ghz port so it might not be completely the same.

So I hope you can keep VM Hub 3 in the default router mode, and also set Deco S7 in wireless router mode to see whether it maintains a stable connection.

(you could disable the WiFi on VM Hub 3 and use the Mesh WiFi on Deco S7 only.)

As for the firmware downgrade, it could be implemented via firmware recovery here:

How to use firmware recovery on Deco

Moreover, since 1.5.0 was released a few weeks ago, I wish you could test the first suggestion first for some time before downgrading the firmware.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Friday

@David-TP 

So current setup is VM Super Hub 3 in wireless router mode and Deco S7 in wireless router mode with different network names. Most devices (30+) connected to the Hub 3 and the Sky Stream box connected wirelessly to the Deco (the Sky Stream is the reason I bought the Deco in the first place). That worked fine overnight so I plan to keep it like that for a week or so and then try some changes from a stable starting point.

I don’t want to do the firmware downgrade but it’s good to know I can. If I do would I need to do all three Decos or just the one that’s connected to the Hub 3?

Thanks for the info yes.

Options
Saturday

@Tim_7 I am having the exact same issue. Since updating to 1.5.0 Build 20240329 Rel. 61026 on my TP-Link Deco S7 AC1900 pack of three S7(1.0). Mine spaz out and go offline at random times of the day. Sometimes the secondary deco units appear offline even though the light is white. Sometimes they are all online but all my devices disconnect. 

is there a way I can roll back the firmware or get a refund?

Ive only had them since August 2023. I might just buy a new set and send these back as those for a refund and keep the new ones on older firmwa

Options
Monday

@Tim_7 

Hi, You need to downgrade all three Deco S7s. But as I mentioned earlier, the issue might not be related to 1.5.0, so you could download the main S7 that’s connected to the Hub 3, then make sure the old firmware 1.4.1 works great, then download the other two satellite S7s.

Thank you very much.

Options
Monday

@Kambutt 

Hi, you could refer to the suggestions here to roll back the firmware:

As for the firmware downgrade, it could be implemented via firmware recovery here:

How to use firmware recovery on Deco

Moreover,  I have documented the recent feedback on version 1.5.0, and none of the reported issues have been confirmed to be related to the firmware upgrade. Some users fixed the issue by resetting and reconfiguring the Deco, others by restarting the whole Mesh system. One user disabled the IPV6 to stop the disconnection issue on mobile clients.

The new firmware has added many advanced features. Sometimes after the firmware upgrade, it might take time to sync with the current network devices. I do wish you could manually restart the whole Mesh system( also try to retart the ISP modem/hub once if possible) and check again whether the Mesh system would get better.

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options