Deco M4R red light blinking after a while

a week ago
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

My home network has five TP-Link Deco: three of them are M5 while the other two are M4. The M4 are V2. FIrmware version is the latest for any Deco.

All of them are connected through ethernet cable. One of the M5 is the principal device. The Deco network is configured in AP Mode, as I have a separate VDSL router which manages DHCP, firewall and internet routing. All of these devices are connected to the same ethernet network.

The issue I have is after a while (about 1 or 2 months), both the M4 start blinking red light, approximately at the same time. They are unable to connect to M5 master for some reasons. When this happens, all of the M5 Deco's are fine and any wireless client connected to the M5s works just fine. The red blinking Deco M4 are still able to accept wireless clients, but then the clients cannot reach the internet. 

I have already ruled out any hardware connectivity issue, seems like the M4s are not able to connect after a while to the M5 and the only thing I can do is to power them off and back on to regain the M4 connectivity. The Deco are "near" each other to be able to connect wirelessly if for some reason the ethernet cable fails, but not very near (5+ meters and some tick walls in between).

I have all of them since 3+ years and they always showed the same issue, no matter the firmware updates in the past years. This blinking only happens on M4 Deco, not M5 which are always functional. My father home has 2x Deco M4 with similar setup and he never experiences the same blinking red light, so seems like the issue is only happening when used in conjunction with M5.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M4R red light blinking after a while
a week ago

@Tadiern_80 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Is there any network switch used to establish Ethernet Backhaul among Decos?

If yes, can I have the model number of the switch?

Can I have a picture of the current network topology?

Is there any possible to modify the network topology to be like:

main VDSL router---network switch--main Deco M5 #1

\--satellite Deco M5 #2-----<Cable>-----Deco M4 #1

\--satellite Deco M5 #3-----<Cable>-----Deco M4 #2

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP hi. I have same issue with m4r which fails and the other 4 m5 works fine 

Options
a week ago

@pichincha 

Hi, is your Deco M4 also connected to the M5 via an Ethernet cable?

If however, it is wireless connected to the Mesh system, I think you could try the 1.7.0 beta firmware here in case the disconnection is due to this satellite M4 didn't connect to the nearby Deco M5.

Deco M4/S4_V2 Support Connection Preference

You only need to update the M4 and the login IP address of the M4 can be found on the Deco APP, such as 192.168.71.250 here.

Thank you very much and Best regards.

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@David-TP Thanks for your reply.

Here is my network topology. As you can see I'm a loyal Tp-Link customer :). Everything is connected through the ethernet backhaul. I am not leveraging the second ethernet port on Deco's.

The Deco M5 #1 is the main unit. What I can do is to move it to be directly connected to Archer router instead of M4 for testing purposes, but I would prefer to have faster WiFi as they are in the current configuration.

The Deco's work well for 1 or 2 months, after that period I start having the red blinking light in both M4 units. The M4 are still providing wireless access but no internet connectivity - seems to me they aren't able to reach the internal network. I am unsure of the triggering factor of the red blinking light, this might be a time issue (after X hours), or a spike/sink from the electric company, I don't know. But this is happening with that frequency. My father in his house has 2x M4 and never experienced any issue with them, so seems like it has something to do between M4 and M5. Again, hard rebooting M4 brings back to normal operation.

I think I can give a try to the beta firmware as you suggested in another reply, even though my Deco's are connected through ethernet. I don't know if this might help in my case but I can give it a try

Options
a week ago

@Tadiern_80 

Thank you very much for the details. They are very helpful.

I noticed you have updated one of the Deco M4 to 1.7.0. Did it help improve the network stability?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
a week ago

@David-TP Everything is working fine so far. I've updated just one of the two M4 to verify if it will improve over the old one. I've had the last red light blinking event last week, so I guess it will take some 4+ weeks to have again the same issue.

If the 1.7.0 is going to fix that, I guess I'll have the red blinking light only on the other M4 which I didn't update. Glad that the updated M4 now has the IoT wireless network.

I'll keep you updated in this thread if something good or bad happens.

Thanks for the help so far.

Options