Unable to change networks

2024-06-19 18:55:30
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Got my powerline kit through yesterday. Set everything up and everything was fine.I have my wireless devices working on the extender's wifi and my wired ethernet devices plugged into the extender and working through the sky router network.

Booted up my PC (wired ethernet) this evening and it has switched from the sky network to the tp-link/extender's network. This has massively slowed down my internet (from 65mbs to 3mbs).

Obviously I'd like to switch it back but there doesn't appear to be any options to do so on my computer. When I click on show available networks it only shows the tp-link network and no others.

I booted up my work laptop (wired ethernet) which is wired into the same extender as my computer and this is still connected through the sky network and is getting 65mbs.

The only thing I've changed since I tested last night is pairing a second (old) extender with the new extender (pressed pair on the new one then pressed pair on the old one). I did this to forward the new wifi setttings from the new extender. This seemed to work fine.

Does anyone know how I can change my PC back to the sky network? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Unable to change networks
2024-06-22 15:42:41

@QuagaarWarrior 

Hi,

In home networks (without a Domain controller) wired Ethernet connections don't actually have network names associated to them.

The network names Microsoft Windows shows for Ethernet connections are made up by Windows itself. It copies the SSID of a wireless network that it deems to be part of the same local network, but the exact logic by which Windows does it is not known.

The sudden drop in speed is weird, though. Can you unplug the "old" extender for a moment and then run the speedtest again on your PC?

Options
Re:Unable to change networks
2024-06-23 18:09:12

@woozle interesting, this is similar problem I am having with a new adapter I have introduced to my network. 

I didn't know it just mimicked a network name but my newly connected adapter has fine speed on speed test but when I go to download somethign (program / game) it drops! 

Options