Could I use the Deco X50-5G as Internet failover for existing Deco BE65 mesh system ?

Could I use the Deco X50-5G as Internet failover for existing Deco BE65 mesh system ?

2024-06-26 06:18:21 - last edited 2024-06-26 11:17:36
Model: Deco X50-5G   Deco BE65  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: latest if I purchase it :-)

I have just introduced a Wi-Fi 7 Mesh to my home with 3 BE65 Units and I am utterly blown away with the system with my 2gbps fiber.

I would like to extent the range into the Garden for IoT devices ( Camera's / Mower and those lazy summer days outside :-) )

Looking at the Deco X50-OUTDOOR as an easy solution ( yes I know its not Wifi 7 but I can live with that for outside ) but I then saw the Deco X50-5G and wondered ! ( I know its not outdoor but I could shelter it from elements )

Is it possible for the Deco X50-5G to join the existing Mesh ? ( As 5g would connect well )

Can you then use the 5G as a failover ?  ( would it share its 5g connectivity within the Mesh once the Main Router BE65 lost internet connectivity? )

If you need to manually make the X50-5g the Main / Primary Unit ( would this be possible remotely if Primary ISP failed ) as it will not be my Primary Unit. (BE65)

The setup is would be WiFi Backhaul only between mesh units so no etherent cables.

The 5g failover would be useful for any online/cloud based security systems or any other IoT for continual Service.

Any Thoughts / Answers.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Internet failover ?-Solution
2024-06-26 10:23:21 - last edited 2024-06-26 11:17:36

@Mr_-_B 

Thank you very much for the message and I will add your account to the waiting list FIRST. Will also message you again when the KidShield entrance is added.

As for your question here,Deco X50-5G could join into the Mesh of Deco BE65 but its 5G module would no longer work.--- the topology#1

But The 4G/5G failover/backup is no longer available since it is only active when Deco X50-5G is the Main / Primary Unit.

"If you need to manually make the X50-5g the Main / Primary Unit ( would this be possible remotely if Primary ISP failed ) as it will not be my Primary Unit. (BE65)"

-It could be achieved by connecting the Deco X50-5G via an Ethernet cable to the nearby BE65, and you still need to create a separate Mesh. like the topology #3 here.

-Or you could directly use the 5G SIM service via Deco X50-5G(as the primary service, not failover) in the garden --- the  topology# 2

Thanks for your time and hope I don't make it more complicated. Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Internet failover ?-Solution
2024-06-26 10:23:21 - last edited 2024-06-26 11:17:36

@Mr_-_B 

Thank you very much for the message and I will add your account to the waiting list FIRST. Will also message you again when the KidShield entrance is added.

As for your question here,Deco X50-5G could join into the Mesh of Deco BE65 but its 5G module would no longer work.--- the topology#1

But The 4G/5G failover/backup is no longer available since it is only active when Deco X50-5G is the Main / Primary Unit.

"If you need to manually make the X50-5g the Main / Primary Unit ( would this be possible remotely if Primary ISP failed ) as it will not be my Primary Unit. (BE65)"

-It could be achieved by connecting the Deco X50-5G via an Ethernet cable to the nearby BE65, and you still need to create a separate Mesh. like the topology #3 here.

-Or you could directly use the 5G SIM service via Deco X50-5G(as the primary service, not failover) in the garden --- the  topology# 2

Thanks for your time and hope I don't make it more complicated. Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Internet failover ?
2024-06-26 11:14:26 - last edited 2024-06-26 11:24:26

@David-TP  Thank you for a very clear answer - On the image below would the 5g backup be available to the Mesh#1 or limited to MESH#2 ?

This is just for all others reading as it maybe very useful in my opinion unfortunately I will struggle with that Ethernet cable (outbuilding in plane site) - so maybe it was all wishful thinking. :-)

Looks like the X50-Outdoor will be the way at the moment, and cover contingency internet down the line and next upgrade :-)

I don't think I have missed it but my BE65 has USB - I don't suppose there is a 5g dongle solution ? this would be a value add definitely especially on the cost of the high end mesh systems like thes - that being said I may have gone down the wrong route with the BE65 :-( ( but that is my fault - and overall I have had a fantastic experience with them to date )

Many Thanks again

Options
Re:Internet failover ?
2024-06-27 02:43:23

@Mr_-_B 

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

It is limited to Mesh#2 only.

And You are right that the USB is not available for the 5G dongle solution and is mainly for USB file sharing.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 402

Replies: 3

Related Articles