About to go all in on Omada. Have a few questions...

2024-07-03 22:43:42 - last edited 2024-07-04 02:03:54

Hello everyone, 

I'm about to go all in on Omada (controller, router, switch and bunch of AP) 

General background:

I have a home setup with *lots* of smart home devices / home assistant etc. I'm in a mudbrick house so getting wifi through walls is a **** nightmare.  All routers etc are on ethernet backbone etc. 

I've been using asus ZenWiFi xt8 (4 in a mesh) up to now. Lots of little problems. 

Also have 24 port unmanaged 10/100/1000 switch which is a bit dodgy I think needs replacing... 

Recently added a tp650 outdoor AP via MoCA at my front gate as only way to get wifi up there. Impressed with tp650, thought "screw it, let's go omada throughout" 

Thinking of oc200 controller.A switch that has 2.5g a router of some sort. Bunch of AP 

Need to decide on what switch / router to get... But.. 

First question

* Asus zenwifi has their AI  threat security protection on the router,  is there an Omada equivalent? 

Second question 

* want to have 2.5g linking all AP (if AP support that) and also want to have 2.5g for desktop, nas etc..   Will need vlan support in future, router will be connected to wired internet but would like a 4g/5g backup in future. (current internet is 260mbs approx. I live in Australia and internet is a bit 💩 and 💵) 

Recommendation on what router and what switch to get? 

I used to work in IT for 16 years but back then even 1gb lan was rare and expensive so things have changed a bit haha   so sorry for dumb questions, 

Thanks in advance :) 

Options
4 Reply
Re:About to go all in on Omada. Have a few questions...
2024-07-04 07:15:10

Hi  @ArtyMarty 

Here is my recommendation:

Gateway router: ER707-M2

24 port Switch:  TL-SG2210XMP-M2

Wireless access point: EAP673

Omada SDN controller: OC200

*Omada gateways also have similar protection functions, such as URL filtering, Attack defense, etc.

*With the above devices, you will obtain a whole 2.5G network.  All devices are SDN Omada devices and support VLAN. 

ER707-M2 also has a USB WAN port which provides LTE backup with an LTE dongle.

Options
2024-07-04 13:29:28 - last edited 2024-07-04 13:34:10

@ArtyMarty 

I would consider a DIY controller - take a look at my post here and read the discussion leading up to and following it if you have a few minutes.

OC200/OC300 are slow, have very little ram, and are really maxed out on the newer controller versions. If you're someone who hates clicking on something only to have to sit and wait while it loads (slowly), they're worth avoiding altogether. A 4GB Pi5, microsd, power adapter, heatsink, and case can be had for around the cost of an OC200. You can add an NVMe hat and an NVMe drive to boost boot times and responsiveness and be well under the cost of an OC300.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/528450?replyId=1368310

Options
2024-07-07 00:01:30

@MrAdministrator 

May I ask what Nvme hat you use on your pi 5?

And case... 

Trying to work out which one and case to get, want to mount it in 1u rack with whichever router I get.. 

Thinking on a Argon neo 5, or an argon one v3 as they both seem to have good cooling for drive and pi built in. 

Options
2024-07-07 01:14:33 - last edited 2024-07-07 01:14:41

@ArtyMarty 

I use 52Pi nvme hats, the N07 (bottom hat) since I have my pis mounted to a 2u din rail mount shelf and will be installing the PoE hats on top when they finally release.

The N04 is also good as the top hat model.

I tried the geekworm top and bottom hats but like the 52Pi better.

If you get an Argon case you won't get to choose a hat, however, as the nvme base contains the m.2 board. I would recommend against the One V3, its.. complex and unnecessary for something like this. It has a daughter board that runs an RP2040? that reroutes and manages power, HDMI, fan PWM, etc. and requires installing additional scripts just for basic operation. The Neo 5 is cheaper, smaller, and basic - the fan plugs directly into the onboard fan header so it's automatically managed by the Pi.

The argon offerings may both be too tall with the NVME base to fit a 1u shelf.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 404

Replies: 4

Related Articles