TD-W9960 Throttling Download Speed

2024-07-25 18:41:15
Model: TD-W9960  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 0.8.0 v009d.0 Build 230705 Rel.45626n

Hello, 

Apologies in advance i seem to be going out my mind trying to fix this. 

I have stripped everything in my home nextwork back to being just the modem router connected to filtered faceplate master Openreach Socket. One laptop connected via Ethernet cable. 

My router is slowing my download speed to virtually 0, approx 0.3mbps at best. Upload speed is a constant 18mbps. 

ISP (One Stream) has checked the line and no issues, stats within the modem/router adavance page shows good upstream and downstream figures to support their claim of the line being fine. 

I have upgraded router to latest firmware and factory reset, setup was flawless and connected to my ISP no problem, but still the dead download speeds. 

What am i missing? What else can I try. This has happened suddenly, with no change to anything on the network, nothing introduced and no updates made to any devices. 

Any help or guidance on what to try would be hugely appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:TD-W9960 Throttling Download Speed
2024-07-26 08:28:08

@FrustratedAF 

Hi, May I know how long you have had the TD-W9960?

Did you test the Ethernet speed from the model as well?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-07-26 13:02:38

@David-TP 

Thanks for the response!

The router was provided by the ISP approx a year ago. All has been working fine up until about 2 days ago, with no changes having been made.

How would I go about testing the Ethernet Speed from the actual router? I have done the diagnostic tests in the Models advanced settings but says all is okay. I have tried mulitple ethernet cables as well incase one is damaged. 

I have another modem/router being delivered today to see if i swap it out with the same settings I get better/Normal speeds, then I can at least go back to the ISP and require a replacement. Right now they won't do anything without hefty charge as their tests state the connection to the router is fine. 

Options
2024-07-26 18:55:34

Quick update for anyone who may be following or in the future has similar issue and comes across this via search engine.

This evening I tried a brand new router, new power adapter, new dsl cable, new Ethernet cable and got the exact same. Super slow download speed and normal upload.

I have raised this with my ISP who have in turn raised a ticket with OpenReach. Hopefully they have more in-depth testing to see why even though, two separate routers are registering a high downstream value from the cabinet, that they can only provide such a slow download speed. 

Will update again after engineer has been. Whenever that will be. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 231

Replies: 3

Related Articles