Vr2100 router and Sky - DSL says connected but basic network shows constant reconnecting

Vr2100 router and Sky - DSL says connected but basic network shows constant reconnecting

2024-07-30 14:17:55
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have connected my router and run through the quick set up. When initially completing config it says it fails but then when hitting 'Reconfig' and not changing any parameters it then goes through.

However on the basic network tab the 'Internet' icon flick between errors and connecting.

The advanced status and internet shows a continuous DSL connection during the period. Original Sky Modem does not have this issue so DSL line is ok and stable. During the moments of connection the router is able to provide an internet connection but not consistently.

I see on other forums this model can connect to sky mer successfully so not sure why it has this seemingly internal issue regarding stability across the connection. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Vr2100 router and Sky - DSL says connected but basic network shows constant reconnecting
2024-08-01 07:26:41

@FanaticalUK 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

SKY has restriction on third-party modem.  Archer VR2100 supports MER but SKY doesn’t allow third-party modem to connect, therefore we cannot ensure that our modem will definitely work with SKY.

But for your situation, may the point is make sure whether  the Internet connection type is Dynamic IP.  Did you ever confirm with your ISP?

Options
Re:Vr2100 router and Sky - DSL says connected but basic network shows constant reconnecting
2024-08-01 08:28:25

@Marvin_S 

I don't believe that's true, Sky used to make it very difficult to use 3rd party modems but were forced back in 2021 to allow them. I have seen several posts on the sky forum directly about this particular model of tpilnk router and others have got it to work.

Sky is dynamic IP (DHCP option 61).

Options
2024-08-02 07:14:21

@FanaticalUK 

Hi, thanks for your update.

Based on DHCP, MER is similar to Dynamic IP. Difference is that there is a special field called option 61 in the DHCP packet. This option is used by DHCP clients to specify their unique identifier.  DHCP servers use this value to index their database of address bindings.  This value is expected to be unique for all clients in an administrative domain.

SKY applies option 61 to complete internet authentication:

In Quick Setup, select SKY (MER)_VDSL from the ISP list, click Next then enter username and password.

If Sky did not provide you with get the username and password, you may refer to this article to check.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 147

Replies: 3

Related Articles