Deco XE75 Pro in AP Mode - No IPV6

2024-08-06 08:12:52 - last edited 2024-08-06 08:52:56
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.2.10 Build 20240325 Rel. 57182

When using the Deco XE75 Pro in AP Mode there is no option to enable IPV6. This seems crazy. No reason exists for not having IPV6, as far as I can see.

Is there something that I am missing? The app seems to be designed for novices, neglecting those with more experience.

If IPV6 is truly unavailable when in AP mode, can someone please explain why and if it will be changed with a new firmware release. This is pretty important stuff. In 2024 you really expect IPV6 to be the standard.

Thank you very much.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 Pro in AP Mode - No IPV6
2024-08-06 09:00:26

@Crazylife 

I have 4 XE75 Pro units (3xV1 & 1xV2) all working fine with iPv6 in AP mode - The iPv6 is all handled by the main router which the units connect to via LAN.

Might be worth checking your router settings?

Options
2024-08-06 10:00:23 - last edited 2024-08-06 10:01:34

@navzptc Thank you. 

If you have the operation mode as Wi-Fi Router but the connect to your existing firewall or router you get double NAT but you also have IPV6. When you set it to genuine AP mode there is no IPV6 to be displayed anywhere. Running network tests to the MAC address brings back only IPV4 as does the most recent iteration of the Deco App.

tp-link also suggest from https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2399/ that as soon as you go into AP mode IPV6 is not supported. Very strange. I could be reading the table wrongly of course.

Features

Router mode supported

AP mode supported

IPv4/IPv6/LAN IP/DHCP server/MAC Clone

Yes

No

The existing router actually states "This device either does not support or is not configured for IPv6 addressing" When connecting, via wired connection, to the main Deco. DHCP is currently on, but there is only the option for Smart DHCP in either on or state. As soon as you go to AP mode all options drop out of the App interface.

The setup is. Router -- Main Deco Wired -- Second Deco Wired to Main Deco --- 4 other Deco's all using wireless back-haul. All are XE75 Pro.

Just seems mental to me. My very old mesh system had no issues with operating with IPV6 in AP mode. This is madness. Madness that your is madness that mine is not and there are no options for it. All decos show and IPV44 address, MAC address and little else.

If you put the Deco into "router" mode and connect to the existing router then you have IPV6 but double NAT.

Thank you in advance.

The App gives no way to assign any IP address to the Main Deco when in AP mode. 

Any help would be gratefully received. For example, where do you see IPV6 options when you look? For me under More>Advanced you have only 4 options ----Operation Mode, Smart DHCP, Fast Roaming, Beamforming

Under More>Wifi Settings you have the 2.4 and 5ghz options and the 6ghz option. In these options under advanced nothing about IP as you would expect.

App version on Android 3.7.83

In AP mode there are very little settings at all in that app. Using a web browser there are even less settings.

Options
2024-08-06 10:28:07

@Crazylife 

Apart from getting the router running on iPv6 on WAN and providing iPv6 addresses on the LAN, I have also switched off Smart DHCP in the Deco Advanced settings, and my router provides all the required addresses. 

Testing on various test sites show iPv6 working on wireless devices, and also separate id's:

Tablet - 2a00:xxxxxxxxxxxxx:d570:9262:773c:2f57

Phone - 2a00:xxxxxxxxxxxxx:5b56:2dcc:b863:63fa

Hope you get to the solution to your problem yes

Options
2024-08-06 10:35:20

@navzptc Thank you. The search continues.

Options
2024-08-06 12:52:25

@navzptc Hello

Just out of interest. I contacted TP Link Support and after a lot of back and forth they have confirmed in AP mode the Deco XE75 Pro does not run IPV6. I am astonished.

The App also does not show the Ethernet speeds anywhere. This means that your LAN based back-haul could be running at 100 Mbps rather than 1000 Mbps or the 2.5 Gbps interface could be running at any old speed. Again confirmed by support after much back and forth. 

I a scenario where you are connecting 2 Deco "units" via the 2.5gbps interface you have no idea what speed they are actually connecting at. Even when using the 1Gbps interface you have no clue.Especially if your ISP connection is only 500Mbps you cannot test throughput without setting up a local testing station of server and client. Even that won't be entirely accurate. 

A big investment was made in 6 of these and the simple things of IPV6 support in AP mode and being able to see the Ethernet back-haul speed is not "included". Nor is this advertised anywhere before you buy. 

Options
2024-08-06 15:09:25 - last edited 2024-08-06 15:16:17

Crazylife wrote

@navzptc Hello

Just out of interest. I contacted TP Link Support and after a lot of back and forth they have confirmed in AP mode the Deco XE75 Pro does not run IPV6. I am astonished.

The App also does not show the Ethernet speeds anywhere. This means that your LAN based back-haul could be running at 100 Mbps rather than 1000 Mbps or the 2.5 Gbps interface could be running at any old speed. Again confirmed by support after much back and forth. 

@Crazylife 

Whilst I can appreciate your concern, whilst working in AP mode they are, at the end of the day, just clever Wireless repeaters and have no control over what IP mode they work on, or speed delivered to its LAN ports, which is all down to your router.

The router I use only has 1Gb LAN ports but a 2.5Gb WAN with all Deco units being hardwired back to the router on their 2.5Gb ports - A combined simultaneous Web speed test (2 different Deco units) shows a combined speed of 1.7Gb which is the speed I expect and shows the Deco units can provide good speeds if required. 

This was also confirmed when I tried out a router with 2.5Gb Lan ports and I got the expected 1.7Gb speed through one Deco, but that has been returned as felt it needed more work to make it more reliable.

As stated before mine works fine with IPv6 and speed through a 1Gb Lan port is as expected:

As stated before, hope you get yours sorted as they do work well when set up. smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 267

Replies: 6

Related Articles