X50-5G, loses 5G to 3G(?) after 1.15 update

2024-08-13 08:43:41 - last edited 2024-08-13 08:46:02
Model: Deco X50-5G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20240419 Rel. 73943

First of all; Is it possible to manually downgrade the firmware, to the 1.1.3 Build?

I can't see nothing about that not being able, unlike in some other cases, on the site:

Anyway, since I upgrade the X50-5G, by the app recommendation, I've had the same problem constantly.

The band, even if I select "5G Preferred", even if I lock the Cell, even if I Manually select the Bands; it constantly seems to drop the 5G/4G connection, going as far as selecting the band B8 (that I can't even find it in "Manual Search" of the Bands applied to my Carrier) and being identified as 3G.

I hope this will be resolved by the end of the month, but it will be quite something to see what will be the behavior of the router at 31/08; as my Carrier announced it will "turn off" the 3G at that date.

Here's a device directly connected (Ethernet) to the modem/router & its history data of download speed:

Note: The red arrows represent when the band selection was ignored and B8 was automatically selected.

Example of X50-5G choosing  "3G, band 8":

Note: Cell Lock was selected; Bands were manually selected to "B1 and NR28"; still those preferences were ignored.

This happens even when the other "preferred" bands are available:

I've tried with different SIM cards - same result.

I've checked with my ISP - no problems with the antenna.

I can't replicate this behavior on my phone, that uses the same Carrier's SIM card.

Here's proof of the last two facts:

The first test was using my phone (mobile data) - Same ISP/Carrier as the SIM card in X50-5G.

The second test was using my WiFi connection to X50-5G.

The third test was after various attempts to reset the band selection; choosing Auto, then Manual selection, until the X50-5G finally connected to the Bands I had manually selected.

I've been using the X50-5G, since 20/04/2024, without a problem.

This only began since the upgrade of the firmware with the options to Lock the Cell and manually select the bands became available.

A curious fact is that this seems to have been a problem before the 1.1.2 Build:

And, in fact, I had my router to reboot at 4am, every day. The change of the band and selection of 3G would happen at 4:15am.

Unfortunately it even happens without rebooting.

I turned off the schedule reboot and created a python script that checks the "Network Type" the router is using, every 15 min:

At 5:15am, even without a reboot, it changed to 3G and only went back to 5G after the I manually (once again) did search of bands, and so on...

Options
2 Reply
Re:X50-5G, loses 5G to 3G(?) after 1.15 update
2024-08-14 11:39:41 - last edited 2024-08-14 11:40:35

@Osz 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

I noticed you also submitted a support ticket and later I would like to escalate your case to the senior engineer for further assistance.

At the same time, could you please help me check the following details:

1. May I know who is your SIM carrier?

--- I saw you mentioned that "I've tried with different SIM cards - same result". Are these SIM cards all from the SIM carrier?

2. Do you use any external 5G antennas?

PS. You could downgrade to 1.1.3/1.1.2 directly via the web interface just like firmware upgrade.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:X50-5G, loses 5G to 3G(?) after 1.15 update
2024-08-14 12:36:33 - last edited 2024-08-14 12:54:38

Hey, @David-TP

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I submitted a support ticket as that, it seems, would allow me to send the logs from the app that I don't have access.

Yes, it was the same Carrier. As the only other antenna I have - even closer to my house - unfortunately still doesn't have 5G for me to test. 

And yes, I use External Antennas.

It went again, at 3:15am (the python script scrapes from the webUI the "Network Type: XX" CSS element, from 15-15 minutes so the right time may have a slight difference with reality) back to 3G and stayed until, at 5am, I tried to, again, manually search the Bands; so I set the Band Selection, in the APP, to Auto. 

It's now using the B20, with: RSRP -69 dBm / RSRQ -13dB / SNR -20dB.

And that's something that I always wonder; even when using LTE bands it identifies as 5G. From the "Additional Information" I can see that in QENG: I have LTE and NR5G-NSA with what I imagine is Primary and Secondary connections. In QCAInfo I have: LTE Band20 / LTE Band1 / LTE Band3 / NR5G Band28 

Thank you for the reply about the firmware; I will answer the email to continue the support ticket and will let the downgrade be a last resort.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 159

Replies: 2

Related Articles