Wireguard VPN connection problem

2024-08-15 07:52:29 - last edited 2024-08-15 11:56:46
Model: Archer AX53  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hello, I just got a new tp-link router (AX53). I got the firmware updated and started setting everything up. I enabled dynamic DNS and decided to try out setting up VPN. I tried out open vpn but I couldn't get it working so I decided to try wire guard. Got it running on my android phone in less then a few minutes. Today I decided to install wire guard on my laptop. Since im not at home I enabled the wire guard on my phone and got into the webinterface using the gateway address. Made a new account in the wireguard settings and exported the config. Imported the config on the wireguard client on my laptop and activated it. It says its connected but when i look at the log it sends the handshake but theres no answer. Tried different network on the laptop to make sure there isn't a firewall thats blocking it. Looked at the advanced windows firewall and added rules for the wireguard itself and also the port from the config. Tried to disable the vpn network adapter and to enable it again and to manually type in the ip address and dns. What else could i check. The problem should be on the laptop side since its working on my phone.  

Options
7 Reply
Re:Wireguard VPN connection problem
2024-08-16 07:50:12

@martinignatov 

Hi

It's NOT suggested to use the same configuration file on multiple VPN Clients simultaneously. You could import the configuration file into your mobile phones as well as the router, but you are not allowed to connect to the VPN server simultaneously based on WireGuard protocols.

Options
2024-08-16 09:20:27 - last edited 2024-08-16 09:21:48

@Joseph-TP 

Im using different accounts with different configs and Its only working from my android phone. Tried another linux laptop and Its the same. I double checked if the account settings on the vpn server are the same, also checked the configs and they are identical except the keys and the interface address. Also no way I misstyped something since I imported all the configs.

Options
2024-08-20 03:17:07

@martinignatov 

Hi

If feasible, could you kindly provide a screenshot of the VPN settings on the router? It is advisable to encode any sensitive information for privacy purposes.

Options
2024-08-21 09:14:28

@Joseph-TP 

Hi 

Yes, i took those screenshots from my phone using the vpn and accessed the router via the web ui.

Options
2024-08-22 09:36:28

@martinignatov 

Hi

It is advisable to utilize the mobile phone with standard VPN functionality to create a hotspot for your laptop to connect to, and subsequently test the VPN connection.

Options
2024-08-22 10:37:10

@Joseph-TP 

Hello,

I already tried doing that, with vpn on and off on the phone it does not matter it's still not working. I have read on forums that a lot of people cannot use vpn when they are connected to hotspot, I assume because the hotspot network is behind NAT. 

Options
2024-08-30 01:11:40

@martinignatov 

Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on the TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID240864173, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Please kindly export the Log from the laptop's Wireguard APP and send it to us when replying to the email for further analysis.

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 333

Replies: 7

Related Articles