Wired device not getting IP Address

2024-08-16 18:48:21
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Deco M5(CA)_V1_1.7.4 Build 20231222

Hi All,

A really weird situation here.  I have a bunch of Decos around the house all wired in via the ethernet port. They are connected to a Starlink modem and the modem is set to passive, the Decos are managing the IP allocation and the wifi. The cable from the starlink modem goes to my main deco and from there it connects to an 8 port gigabit switch that everything else is connected to.

There's one device on my system (Hayward OmniLogic pool controller) that is not getting a dynamic IP address.  Other wired devices (TVs, etc) are getting a dynamic IP without issue.  I've confirmed the cable to the Hayward is fine, my laptop connects normally from there.  I've used an old Linksys router wired to the hayward with the same cable and the Hayward gets an IP address.  For a very brief period a few days ago the Hayward did receive an IP address and it worked for about 4 hours before it lost the IP address and haven't been able to connect since.

Things I've done to trouble shoot

- I've checked that the device is not on the block list.

- Tried reserving a free IP for the Hayward and configured it for static IP, but no connection

- Connected the network cable to my linksys router then a cable from the linksys to the hayward and it got an IP but no internet connectivity (maybe need to forward a port?)

- Set up a whole new deco system with one deco and nothing else, plugged the Hayward into it and no IP.

- I've tried plugging the Hayward directly into the main deco unit but no IP.

Whenever I tested anything I reset the Hayward network connection and gave it up to 20 minutes to connect.  When it worked with the Linksys router it took under a minute for it to display the network information.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? If I can't get it connected via the decos, I'm OK leaving it connected to the linksys, but is someone able to help me with port forwarding so it can access the internet?

Thanks for reading all this!

Yotam

Options
7 Reply
Re:Wired device not getting IP Address
2024-08-17 04:48:27

@YotamT What do you mean by "the modem is set to passive"? Do you mean it's set to bridge mode?

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2024-08-17 10:46:47

@ImtiazAli yes sorry the modern is set to bridge mode.

Options
2024-08-19 01:06:06

@YotamT 

Hi

It is recommended that you go to Deco APP > More > Advanced > IPTV/VLAN to check whether Deco’s network port is set to an IPTV port.
Other wired network clients or switches connected to the IPTV port won’t have internet access.

At the same time, please ensure that the Hayward OmniLogic pool controller automatically obtains the IP.

Options
2024-08-19 01:52:57

@Joseph-TP IPTV/LAN is disabled (it always was disabled)

Options
2024-08-19 03:08:49

@YotamT 

Hi

Given that other devices are able to acquire an IP address and access the internet successfully, it is likely that Deco's hardware is functioning properly. Furthermore, it seems that the Hayward OmniLogic pool controller is not able to access the internet when connected to Linksys via a wired network. It is advisable to reach out to Hayward OmniLogic pool controller support first to verify the specific configuration method and determine if any special settings are needed.

Options
2024-08-19 10:55:06

@Joseph-TP with the Linksys the Hayward is getting an IP address, but the internet access is due to the fact that it's behind 2 routers and the Decos probably need to port forward to return the response.  So I don't think it's an issue iwht one or the other, but a config element.

As I mentioned above, it was working at one point with the Hayward, but then it just stopped.

Do you know if there's a log file I can look into on the deco possibly there's an error in there that will help?

Thanks

Options
3 weeks ago

@YotamT 

Hi

If you wish to access the Log, you may refer to the following link to access Deco's web management interface: How to log into the web-based interface of my Deco.

Additionally, you might consider using a new cable to establish a direct connection between the satellite Deco and the Hayward.

In case you suspect that the connection issue between the Hayward and the Linksys router is due to the presence of two routers, you could potentially conduct a test by temporarily substituting the Linksys router for the Deco.

Options