UB500 installed, no request to pair device

2024-08-19 09:15:09 - last edited a week ago
Model: UB500  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I've installed a new UB500 in my Desktop,and it shows in Device Manager and Bluetooth Settings as On and Discoverable.  However, it has not offered me the option to Pair A Device.  Have I missed something?- Did it just pair itself, since the Bluetooth Settings in the desktop say 'Discoverable as Desktop'.  I did all this successfully in my phone, including pairing it with Desktop.  NB I am not completely daft, just less knowledgable!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:UB500 installed, no request to pair device-Solution
2024-08-19 18:07:44 - last edited a week ago

@Tabbycat1 

Hi,

It would have been really helpful if you mentioned what type of Bluetooth device you are trying to pair with your desktop.

There is nothing special about Bluetooth pairing when it comes to TP-Link's UB500.

In general, pairing Bluetooth devices works like this:
One of the two devices to be paired needs to make itself "discoverable", while the other device has to search for discoverable Bluetooth devices and initiate the pairing process. Once that "searching" device has found discoverable devices the user manually picks the one he/she intends to pair with and, if applicable, follows further instructions shown on the screen.

Now, in case of pairing a computer with a smartphone this would work both ways.

However, simple Bluetooth devices that have no real user interface (like earphones, speakers, etc.) can only be made "discoverable", since they have no way to show the user a list of nearby discoverable devices to pick from.
This means that in order to pair such kind of devices the "other" device has to search for BT devices and initiate the pairing.

In Windows 11 this process would be initiated via "Add device" and then select "Bluetooth".

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:UB500 installed, no request to pair device-Solution
2024-08-19 18:07:44 - last edited a week ago

@Tabbycat1 

Hi,

It would have been really helpful if you mentioned what type of Bluetooth device you are trying to pair with your desktop.

There is nothing special about Bluetooth pairing when it comes to TP-Link's UB500.

In general, pairing Bluetooth devices works like this:
One of the two devices to be paired needs to make itself "discoverable", while the other device has to search for discoverable Bluetooth devices and initiate the pairing process. Once that "searching" device has found discoverable devices the user manually picks the one he/she intends to pair with and, if applicable, follows further instructions shown on the screen.

Now, in case of pairing a computer with a smartphone this would work both ways.

However, simple Bluetooth devices that have no real user interface (like earphones, speakers, etc.) can only be made "discoverable", since they have no way to show the user a list of nearby discoverable devices to pick from.
This means that in order to pair such kind of devices the "other" device has to search for BT devices and initiate the pairing.

In Windows 11 this process would be initiated via "Add device" and then select "Bluetooth".

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:UB500 installed, no request to pair device
2024-08-20 09:17:16

@woozle 

Thank you for your reply.  I am sorry if I didn't give you the information you required.  In fact I was just wondering if it had successfully paired with my Desktop by making itself Discoverable, the reason being that my HPG5 Desktop did not, as promised it would, arrive with Bluetooth capability fitted, so I was advised to purchase a BT device such as this  I wanted to connect it to BT speakers and phone.  Phone is okay - BT discovered it, I got a code and paired it.  However, so far it can't find the speakers when Add the Device,or try to.  User error, I expect. I will keep trying, and thank you.

Kind regards, TC1

Options
Re:UB500 installed, no request to pair device
2024-08-20 13:02:07

@Tabbycat1 

Bluetooth devices like speakers and headphones will not be discoverable all the time, because if that was the case any random person who walks by could connect to them.

Therefore, such devices have to be made "discoverable" whenever pairing is desired.

How this is done on your particular BT speaker I can't know. It will be written in the speaker's user manual. If you need you can post the model number of your speaker here and someone will likely be able to tell you.

In most cases it involves long-pressing one particular button, which will make the device discoverable for a couple of minutes, before it stops being discoverable again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 153

Replies: 3

Related Articles