No internet on TL-WR840N in Range Extender mode?

Saturday
Tags: #Range Extender
Model: TL-WR840N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Around two years ago I set up my WR840N as a Range Extender and everything worked without problems.

For some reason, I didn't have a connection to the internet in the last days, which was the reason I decided for a reset. After the reset, I installed the newest firmware ar first.

When doing the Quick Setup (to configure it as a Range Extender) now, I choose the main router (IP 192.168.2.1 - which has an internet connection) and then I enter the password of the main router. The SSID and MAC to be bridged is filled in automatically, so I hope I don't have to change anything there. Then I enter the name of the new name of the Range Extender.

On the next step it says LAN Type, which is default on Smart IP (DHCP) with the IP 192.168.0.1 and the correct subnet mask.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if I try Smart IP or Static IP with another IP, I don't have any internet when connected to the Range Extender.

Sorry for the maybe dumb question, but is there something else I need to change or what should I choose when setting everything up?

I'm a complete noob in this regard, but last time it was much easier.

Options
4 Reply
Re:No internet on TL-WR840N in Range Extender mode?
Saturday

Hikky wrote

For some reason, I didn't have a connection to the internet in the last days, ...

@Hikky 

Hi,

Have you checked that the main router hasn't for some reason blocked the range extender? There are some router models with overly aggressive protection mechanisms that in certain cases even trigger on legitimate traffic.

Also, rebooting the main router in case of a network problem suddenly appearing is always a good idea.

Options
Yesterday

@woozle 

Thank you for the fast response. I tried rebooting the main router before the reset of the Extender, but while the main router still had internet access, I couldn't get any signal from the Extender.

I also checked all settings of the main router and there the Extender is listed in the connected devices. Since I could block it from there, I think it isn't blocked at the moment.

In the meantime I also tried setting the Extender up with the Tether app, but when doing the setup there I can't even connect to the Extender. My phone just stops at the step "Getting IP adress" and disconnects a few seconds later. When doing the setup via browser from my PC, I can at least connect to it afterwards (even with my phones) but it says "This network has no connection to the internet".

Options
Yesterday

Hikky wrote

Around two years ago I set up my WR840N as a Range Extender and everything worked without problems.

For some reason, I didn't have a connection to the internet in the last days, which was the reason I decided for a reset. After the reset, I installed the newest firmware ar first.

When doing the Quick Setup (to configure it as a Range Extender) now, I choose the main router (IP 192.168.2.1 - which has an internet connection) and then I enter the password of the main router. The SSID and MAC to be bridged is filled in automatically, so I hope I don't have to change anything there. Then I enter the name of the new name of the Range Extender.

On the next step it says LAN Type, which is default on Smart IP (DHCP) with the IP 192.168.0.1 and the correct subnet mask.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if I try Smart IP or Static IP with another IP, I don't have any internet when connected to the Range Extender.

Sorry for the maybe dumb question, but is there something else I need to change or what should I choose when setting everything up?

I'm a complete noob in this regard, but last time it was much easier.

@Hikky 

Options
Yesterday - last edited Yesterday

@Hikky 

Can you tell if it's indeed only the Internet that is missing and the local network (between main router and TL-WR840N) is working fine? 

For example, when your computer is connected to the TL-WR840N range extender, can this computer open the settings webpage of the main router via http://192.168.2.1 ?

Also, while still connected to the TL-WR840N, please run the "ipconfig /all" command on that computer and verify the Default Gateway, DHCP Server and DNS Server all point to the IP address of the main router. (like in the example shown in the screenshot below)
In case you have manually specified a different DNS Server IP address on the main router, then that IP address should be shown.
Verify the IPv4 Address of the computer is in the correct subnet as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 72

Replies: 4

Tags

Range Extender
Related Articles